Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string jazz bass ashtrays?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lowfrequency, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Do these exist? I really like the way they look, but I've got a fiver. Would regular four-string ashtrays work?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Subscribing to the thread. I want some too.

3. If it helps, the neck pickup on my Jazz measures about 10 cm in length, and the bridge pickup about 10.4 cm.

Anybody with ashtrays and a ruler able to help?

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, I don't think they'll fit on a 5.

Are you using the standard bent Fender bridge? I tried to add a new bridge to my Jazz that would fit under the cover. Or, are you just interested in the neck pickup cover?

For some reason, I've got a mental picture of an Atelier Z, or some high end Japanese Jazz 5 copy that had at least a neck pickup cover. It could just be all of the Sadowsky Tokyos I've seen recently, though.

I do love ashtrays, though. :D

[​IMG]

5. bassmonkee, that's a gorgeous bass!

I am indeed using the stock Fender bridge - 9.5 cm x 4 cm.

Ideally, I'd like to have both covers, but I suppose I could settle for just one :)

Thanks,

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks. It sounds gorgeous, too, with the TI Jazz Rounds I just installed last week.

I'll measure the covers tonight before my gig.

7. bassmonkee PMed me yesterday with the measurements of his jazz:

Finding ashtrays locally in Halifax seems to be quite the ordeal - so I'm waiting to hear back from Grasshopper at Bass Central...

Cheers.