Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string jazz bass set. Help me please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I am looking for suggestions for a passive 5 string jazz set to put in an sx 5er. I am not worried about exact measurements, because I can do a little reshaping of pickgaurds and bodies with no problem here is what I am looking for.

I am looking for a powerfull passive pickup set, preferably individulally hum canceling, vintage sounding, not to bright, punchy and thick, but clear, and that will perform well without an onboard preamp.

I am not looking for a "modern slap sound" I only play fingerstyle, and I usually cut the high mids mostly out anyway.
    I am not also not looking to invest alot of money, I was hoping to keep it under 140 bucks, but don't let that price limit good sugestions (I have a pretty good hookup at the local store)
    I prefer exposed pole pieces, but it's not the most important thing.

There you go, I await your collective wisedom and suggestions

Thanks,
    Karl

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Ok, I'm bumping this, someone has got to have some good suggestions for 5 string Jazz sets. This is Talkbass right :(

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    PM sent

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you want exposed pole pieces, then the measurements ARE important - what's the string spacing?

I haven't tried the 5 string J humbuckers from Sadowsky, but I did really really like the 4 string ones - you can hear a sample of them in the thread linked to in the pickups faq.