5 string jazz bass set. Help me please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I am looking for suggestions for a passive 5 string jazz set to put in an sx 5er. I am not worried about exact measurements, because I can do a little reshaping of pickgaurds and bodies with no problem here is what I am looking for.

I am looking for a powerfull passive pickup set, preferably individulally hum canceling, vintage sounding, not to bright, punchy and thick, but clear, and that will perform well without an onboard preamp.

I am not looking for a "modern slap sound" I only play fingerstyle, and I usually cut the high mids mostly out anyway.
    I am not also not looking to invest alot of money, I was hoping to keep it under 140 bucks, but don't let that price limit good sugestions (I have a pretty good hookup at the local store)
    I prefer exposed pole pieces, but it's not the most important thing.

There you go, I await your collective wisedom and suggestions

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Ok, I'm bumping this, someone has got to have some good suggestions for 5 string Jazz sets. This is Talkbass right :(
  3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you want exposed pole pieces, then the measurements ARE important - what's the string spacing?

I haven't tried the 5 string J humbuckers from Sadowsky, but I did really really like the 4 string ones - you can hear a sample of them in the thread linked to in the pickups faq.