5 String Jazz bass with 35" scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Nov 10, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Anyone know of any Fender Jass V - like basses with a 35 inch scale? Seemingly the only thing available is the KSD Proto-J 5 string, which I've read less than stellar reviews on here and elsewhere. I was considering building my own from warmoth, but they're not available in that scale either, and even the Sadowsky Metro's, as lovely and toneful as they are, only come in 34".

Here are my considerations. We tune down a full step, so my five string is tuned A D G C F. Even using the heaviest guage strings available, this still makes for floppy strings, and we play pretty fast, technical stuff. This is fine on my MM SR 5, becuase i rest my thumb on the pickup, so I'm actually plucking near enough to the bridge for the strings to relatively taught. However, using a jazz bass with the normal Jazz PU configuartion will leave me resting my thumb at the neck pickup ( WAAAAY too floppy on a 34" scale bass ) or at the neck pickup ( too taught on either scale ) So it wold seem the answer may lie in a longer scale instrument.

Sure, I could just do an odd pickup configuration and be done with it, but you TB'ers should know better than anyone, when you want something a particular way, that's how you want it, and I want a Jazz bass dammit!!

If anyone has anything positive to say about the KSD basses I'd love to hear it, but does anyone know of any other 35" scale Jazz basses?
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Lull makes a 35' scale jazz bass, and very good IMO, as good if not better than the S word.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have a Lakland 5 string Jazz Bass on order - it has 35"..
  4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Lakland Joe Osborn 5.
    35" scale and the Skyline version is pretty stinkin sweet!
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Lakland/Skyline JO5....

6. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    ... "S - WORD" hahahah. That's just great. Sums up one half of Talkbass right there........ having to be careful not disturb the angry hornet's-nest of rabid frothing Sadowsky Soldiers, lest your thread be hijacked...... the other half being careful not to awaken the army of junior Einsteins and PHD audio / electronics engineers to quibble over SPL vs humidity in a 120 Cu ft room with two windows open.... just great. I've had my laugh for the day.

Didn't know the Lakland Jazzes were 35". SAY NO MORE!!! Just can't Afford the Lull stuff....
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Modulus Genesis, Lakland, Lull...

From a playability standpoint, the KSDs I have seen are not bad. It plays well for a bass in it's price range. I might recommend other changes such as the preamp. But it's a solid bass for the $$
  8. +1

The genesis is great, but if you want the jazz bass look with pickguard etc. then lakland or lull.
  9. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    i tried the genesis once. loved it.

how about F bass?
    or do you need it to have the traditional look?
  10. Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    I think you can build a US Custom guitar in a J form with a 35" neck. Probably one of the cheaper options.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Fbass is a 34.5' scale neck though, but a great bass nonetheless.
  12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No need to be obnoxious about it...
  13. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    wait a sec,
    what about installing a thumbrest somewhere between the neck and bridge pickups on the jazz bass?
  14. Celinder Update 5.... the best 70's style J Bass I've ever played.... 35" scale, 70's pickup placement... full size ash Jazz Body, maple 'coated' board... as Chef says... it's the shnizzle!

The Lakland DJ 5 string is also very awesome... a little more '60's style IMO... 35" scale (I think... it felt like it to me)... small body but as heavy as some full size 70's models.... passive, but loud and punchy... and relatively inexpensive.
  15. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    +1 on a danish celinder. :)
  16. Go for the Lakland JO5 !!!!!!!
  17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If you're wanting a traditional Jazz style look, Lull will probably be your best bet. They have the Vintage model and the Modern/Vintage (18V Bartolini preamp)...

18. elsharko

Dec 24, 2008
    The new PGM Moons are 35" and amazing, although getting your hands on one is almost impossible if you're a westerner.
  19. +1:eyebrow: