1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Jazz Neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by velvetkevorkian, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Hey all, does anyone know where I can get a replacement neck for an MIM Jazz 5, with a 20 fret neck? I've been looking about but I can only find 21 or 22 fret models, which I assume would leave my intonation a bit out. Alternatively, I could go fretless, so a 22 fret neck would just leave me with a slightly longer scale... I think?

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance
    Kyle

2. Anyone? Pleeeeeeeease....!

*tumbleweed rolls past*
    *crickets*

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    http://www.mightymite.com/necks/index.html It say p-bass, but it might be just what you need.

or try warmoth.com.

You should measure your neck heel and compare it to the neck you want to purchase. Pbass and Jazz bass neck heels are the same in 4 stringers, but there is no standard for 5 stringers. Even if the neck heel width is the same, you may have to file the neck slot or the neck heel a bit to make them fit perfectly.

If it's a 21 frett, with a hangover at the end of the board, that should not affect the scale, the only real concern is the width of the neck heel.