1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string jazz pup for narrow spacing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tony moore, Sep 17, 2004.

1. i just picked up a g&l l5000 (5 string with a skinny neck, tight string spacing and a passive slit-p type pup), i'd like to add a jazz type pup in the bridge spot. but given the skinny neck and tight string spacing, i'm worried the pole pieces won't line up with the strings correctly using a regular 5 string pickup. staying passive is a must and the tone of the g&l pup is pretty aggressive...

any suggestions?

thanks!

tony

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Bar magnet pickups such as the Bart 59J series and the Carvin J99 and H50N should work. The Bill Lawrence J-45 has a universal pole piece design that should work on any spacing you can throw at it.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I would also recommend the Lawrence J-45 both for fit and tone.

The pickups are the same outside dimensions as a set of regular 4 string jazz pickups. I guess you could choose either the neck or bridge width, depending on which one fits better. I think the magnetic field for the strings would be the same for either (you may want to confirm).