Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string Jazz style basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Nov 13, 2003.

Which one?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2003.
  1. Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Celinder Jazz 5

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Sadowsky Tokyo 5

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Ken Smith v60j5

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Benavente Vintage Vortex

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Help me decide on these please.

2. Jason, you can't go wrong with the Sadowsky Tokyo 5 and to top it off, Roger is one hell of a stand up Guy!

Sadowsky all the way bro!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. PS: I'm going to buy used and want to keep it under $1500.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Schecter Diamond jazz. It's got the stylings of a '51 P, but a 5 string jazz. I played a blonde one in a pawn shop here. It was $350, but my friend works there, so he would sell it to me for $300, but I'm not looking for another bass at the moment, or I'd snag it.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Fender USA Fender Jazz V and I love it. Not on your list, but that's what I'd personally recommend.

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Jason,

I just picked up a Lakland Skyline JO 5 string and I think it's the best bang for the buck. I tried out a Sadowsky Tokyo 5 and while it was a very nice hi fi sounding bass, it didn't seem to naturally get that vintage j tone as well as the JO. Additionally, when the pickups were soloed, the hum was much more pronounced on the Sadowsky. Finally, the JO is probably the least expensive of your choices.

Best Wishes and happy hunting on your bass search.

Bones

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender Roscoe Beck Signature 5. It's a 5-string Jazz bass plus a whole lot more. You can get one used for $800 or less.

8. if you want the classic jazz look and sounds you could not go wrong with the Sadowsky or Lakland.

personally I really like the looks of the Benavente Vintage Vortex, I have not played one but everyone has great things to say about them.

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I'd vote Celinder on the high end and you can't go wrong with a Sadowsky, Lakland or Lull either, but in the price range your talkin the J.O. Skyline is excellent...

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    actually the KSD is the cheapest of all of them new, so will be even cheaper used.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The JO5 is right around a thousand USD, and the sound is great... I love the Lindy Fralin pups in it! Great feel, great sound, great looks, and customer service that is amazing...

P@

12. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i recently played a JO5 at a local store and loved it. great feel, great jazz sound.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've got a KSD on the way. I'll post impressions next week.

14. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    A little off topic: You know boogie, you get every bass i want to try out before i do...IN THE EXACT SAME ORDER AND TIME AS I WANT THEM! :mad: :p :D

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I second! :bassist:

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't break the cosmic chain, my brother! :cool:

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Can't go wrong with any, but finding a few of them might be tuff. The Basic Benavente Vintage Vortex will creep in there, but the Sadowsky won't make it at all and if it does it might be pretty beat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I'd go for the Lakland.

But, I would also like to reccomend the Lakland Skyline 55-01 Deluxe, it has a 'jazz bass' tone, but it just dosent really look like one... But IMHO it sounds VERY good.

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Ditto! The RB5 is hands down Fender's best bass IMO. And it's certainly cheaper than most of the stuff on your list.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just got this is and am very impressed with the tone. Not unlike the Japanese Fender Marcus J 4 I own but less noisy and a little punchier. Master volume/pan pot is a nice idea, as is the push/pull, active/passive knob.

It's a big 'ol sucker, tho. Smaller players will probably be overwhelmed. Nice fit 'n finish and it took very well to a low-action setup. New DR Hi-Beams and I'm ready to funk it up!

Got this from Adrian at Access Bass and it was CHEAP! (thanx, dude) Helluva value, I'd say.

Haven't gigged it yet. When I do, I'll post detailed impressions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]