1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string jazz style pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brotondo, May 10, 2015.

1. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    I'll try to keep it simple, I've always been a passive/humbucker type of guy and recently acquired this mia Hamer cruise 5. It came with non-original Duncan basslines 62 vintage single coils, and I don't really appreciate the vintage tone they put out. Wish it was a little more "hot" or modern.
    It has vol, blend, & tone knobs, 250k pots best I can tell.
    I see lots of the Duncan quarter pounder series available, even some Korean made neo's with huge 8mm poles(not the Chinese Mings), they intrigue me, especially for the price. A lot of the pups available push the "vintage" aspect, which actually scares me away.
    I might be able to swing the $130 for the quarter pounders(they do not mention vintage :). There are other brands in this price range as well, but I know nothing of them. I like the Duncans QP's because I know they are a step above what I have. I want drastic change!
    Would 500k pots help too?
    Any direction or experience would be great !

I'm in this predicament because I also got at the same time, a passive corvette std. 5 w/mec's(and 500k pots). I love the feel/looks/playability of the cruise, but I keep picking up the Warwick because of the tone. :help:

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Quarter Pounders would be a good choice for you

brotondo likes this.
  3. I personally dislike the QP's as I find them bassy but lifeless and boring IMO. I think there is a honeymoon period with them but soon you can't wait to ditch them. FYI I tried almost every Jazz Bass pickup money can buy. Since you are not a Jazz Bass sound purist and are looking for something reasonably priced (otherwise I would recommend the Delano JMVC FE - You can listen to my sound clips if you search in TB), I would recommend the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. Make sure you get the right size pickups as there is two different possible sizes for Jazz Bass 5 string type of instruments.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    brotondo likes this.
  4. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    Thanks, the DiMarzio's description sounds very promising. I love the looks of the Delano's, but am curious to the sound quality difference being worth double the price of the Ultra's. And if I'm going to go that far, would Joe Bardens be a sound choice? There's lots of love for them here.

5. Both the Ultra Jazz' and the Delanos are split-coils and soundwise will take you away from a traditional Jazz Bass sound. I feel their high-end have some similarities but the UltraJazz are more mid scooped-sounding and funky while the Delanos are more full sounding and would be more appropriate for rock, in-your-face music or anything you'd normally play with a PBass. I prefer the sound of the bridge pickup of the UltraJazz but I prefer the sound of the neck pickup and both pickups of the Delanos. But again the UltraJazz will be much more lively and imteresting than the QP's.
    I have never tried the Joe Bardens.

iunno and brotondo like this.
  6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    UltraJazz pickups are pretty sweet imo. Great value and don't sound "cheaper" than more expensive competition.

7. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    I've done some research, particularly on sizing. Dimarzio and Duncan are kinda lazy in the sizing dept. There should be size differences in cases between neck and bridge, there's is the same.I've found the Ultra Jazz's advertised tone is what I'm looking for. Their dimensions appear identical to the current 64/70 Basslines, which the neck is kinda crammed in there and an obvious gap on the bridge.
    I have found the Bartolini's come in the exact size I need with their short/long cases. Anyone with Bart experience? The 59CBJD1 are in my price range, but they are modest in their tone descriptions. I fancy the idea of dual coils models and they'll fit perfectly. Anyone try these? Or thoughts on classic or original series?
    IMG_20150516_124008_zps0nksjlkl.
    IMG_20150516_123954_zpsgz1enqi1.