5 String Kay...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BigRed, Jun 28, 2004.

1. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    What would a 5 string Kay upright be worth. I think it is 3/4 size, but other than that, I'm totally clueless.

As far as condition is concerned, it's basically being rebuilt in the local store. Everything reworked and rechromed...

Anyway, I'd never seen a 5 string. Would this thing be worth anything?
  2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    If the 5-string you are referring to is a Chubby Jackson model (I know Kay made other 5-string models) they are considered fairly collectible. I'm selling my 1940 Kay Chubby Jackson model on consignment at Lemur Music. It was originally a 5-string and was converted to a 4, though it still has the 5-string tailpiece and tuners (Kay purists will cringe). Before I took it in I did a little research on what the Chubbys are going for, so I was prompted to reply.
    Since it's being refurbished it probably doesn't have as much value to a collector (who collects these things anyway?), but I'm guessing it is worth about $1800 - $2K. The all-original ones in good shape can go for $2500-$3000.
    I don't think they are in super high demand as "player's instruments", though.
  3. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    How would I know if it's a chubby?

(I never thought I'd ask that question... :scowl: )
  4. I think the Chubby models were designated S-51,, and they were equipped with a high "C" rather than a low "B."