1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Kay...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BigRed, Jun 28, 2004.

1. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    What would a 5 string Kay upright be worth. I think it is 3/4 size, but other than that, I'm totally clueless.

As far as condition is concerned, it's basically being rebuilt in the local store. Everything reworked and rechromed...

Anyway, I'd never seen a 5 string. Would this thing be worth anything?

2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    If the 5-string you are referring to is a Chubby Jackson model (I know Kay made other 5-string models) they are considered fairly collectible. I'm selling my 1940 Kay Chubby Jackson model on consignment at Lemur Music. It was originally a 5-string and was converted to a 4, though it still has the 5-string tailpiece and tuners (Kay purists will cringe). Before I took it in I did a little research on what the Chubbys are going for, so I was prompted to reply.
    Since it's being refurbished it probably doesn't have as much value to a collector (who collects these things anyway?), but I'm guessing it is worth about $1800 - $2K. The all-original ones in good shape can go for $2500-$3000.
    I don't think they are in super high demand as "player's instruments", though.

3. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    How would I know if it's a chubby?

(I never thought I'd ask that question... :scowl: )

4. I think the Chubby models were designated S-51,, and they were equipped with a high "C" rather than a low "B."