5 String, Low B, fretlesses (reccomendations).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 15, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, sorry that this has been covered before, including one a few posts down, however all the other ones are from bass players asking for basses in price ranges of $2000 plus, I'm looking to spend around £400 MAX for a used one($650ish).

It's to be used mostly in a metal band, hence the 5 string (I figured I may aswell get a 5 string and a fretless at the same time).

I know it'll take a lot of work and effort to get used to it but I'm willing to stick at it and use a four string until I'm comfy'.

Thanks for any reccomendations.
  2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm not sure if you can find one for the price mentioned, however, I recommend the Stingray 5 fretless. It is a fine bass and the fretless models sound terrific.

I have TI flats on mine and think that is just about a perfect match. The bass sounds very woody and huge and has good sustain with the TI's.

3. The (Gibson made) MTD 5 string fretless basses are in the range you mention around here, but I don't know what they would go for there (after VAT and such). Do you have any music shops within a reasonable distance?
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The only 5 Fretlesses I know at that price are some sort of Dean and Cort Curbow 5 Fretless. I haven't checked into it but you can probably get a low end Fender Jazz or P-Bass or a Squire, probably an OLP too.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Warwick's Rockbasses got pretty good reviews for their fretless versions over here.

6. jep get an rockbass
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 5 string fretless Dean that I got for just over $400. I love it and would recommend it highly.
  8. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot for the replies. Going by the general thread mood, I think I'll keep it simple and stay in the four string terrortory, familarize my-self with that first..so, I oughta re-word the question to 'wahts a good 4 string freltess to look into for around £300ish used?

Then again, I did just get my first ever student loan for a coupla thousand £'s on moday ;) ;) ...

PS - I have checked music shops (within 40 miles) regularly over the last 6 months or so, each visit yeilding only one fretless bass, that being the the same each time; A vintage 4 string that wasnt too bad (based on no other experience) but was a bit pricy (I'm a scrooge/student and insist on buying 2nd hand).
  9. I have some toys for sale.
    See basses

Prices in US dollars

EB-0 $550
    LB-75 $800
    LB-70F $700
    Ric $800

cka@visuallink.com or (540)-888-7940
  10. MTD is owned by Michael Tobias. The Tobias brand name is Gibson owned. Anyways, yes, the MTD Kingston and Heirs are amazing basses for the money. I wish I didn't have to save up for a computer, ir I would buy one :bawl: :D .