Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string MIA Jazz PU's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bobotempo, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Bobotempo

Bobotempo

Sep 12, 2003
    I'm looking for some passive replacement PU's for my 5-string jazz (USA). The ones it came with doesn't handle the B-string very well. So my question is: Do I need active PU's in order to get the same punch from the B-string as from the others, or is it possible to find some passive that will do the job,- like the Bartolini 57 J1 for instance.....?
    Best regards from Denmark
    Jakob

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, you don't need active pickups to do that.
    Before you change pickups though, I'm assuming you've experimented with changing pickup heights?

3. Bobotempo

Bobotempo

Sep 12, 2003
    About PU heights. I have my strings pretty close to my PU's. But maybe that's the problem, or...(Will check it out)
    It's not a matter of volume as much as a matter of (don't know exactly how to describe it) quality, tightness, integrity. First I thought it was my speakers that couldn't handle the lows, until I heard a guy play a 5-string active Morch (danish custom) through my setup,- WOW. Anyway, any suggestions about passive PU's (that will handle a B-string without choking) that will fit in an american Jazz V, will be highly appreciated. It's a jungle out there......

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    with the height, I meant the pickup height sloping. You'll generally have the pickups closer to the G than the B string. If the B is too close to the pickups, the sound can suffer. It's a fine balancing act :)

I haven't encountered any pickups that choke on a B string, just ones with different sound characteristics. Bartolini are perfectly fine. The range of available pickups for the large Fender route size is somewhat restricted. Nordstrand make some, as do Aero. I haven't tried the Nordstrands yet, but I have Aeros in my Lakland Daryl Jones 5 - that has the large Fender routes, and those pickups sound great.

5. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    I just put some Lindy Fralins JAzz pickups in my MIA 5 and let me tell you WHOA!!! Its a whole new world. I still cant believe this is my bass. I did have to have a special setup as well to adjust the tension on my B string but now my Fender is a BEAST!

6. My experience w/Fender 5s has been that the majority I've played had weak B string tone. I don't know if better PUs will bring out a good sound- I imagine not if it's not there to begin with. I don't mean to dog your bass, but play it unplugged, in a nice quiet room(bathroos work well). Compare strings for sustain, volume, etc. Maybe a pro setup could improve things.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You may also try diff strings..in some sets it seems like the B is almost an afterthought!!I really like light gauge strings on basses w/ shorter string lengths, the strings w/ reduced mass at the bridge for the B and sometimes E are nice!!
    Try tuning the bass down a half or whole step also..If your B improves I would look into a set-up...
    ......stay warm!!

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Yep my B sucks too on my MIA JazzV. Its softer in volume by a long shot compared to the other strings. I'll try new pickups since it seems to have worked for others. good thread, very timely. Was wondering how I was going to handle that issue. I was considering a new bridge but figured new pickups would be the best place to start.

9. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    On my Jazz bass I did tune mine down to a B flat and I do use A lighter gauge string. But as far as sound output, that is just a matter of pick to string spacing. You ever see basses that have pickups higher at one end and lower at the other? Try raising the neck pick up closer top the B srting.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yep!!I play all my bass guitars tuned down..when I pick up a bass in the store it feels like crap to me until I drop it down a half..plus I just "Jones" for the low Bb!!

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+1,

I wasn't overjoyed with the B-string response on my MIM JazzV and bought a Lakland (which was much better but was 3x more expensive so it should've been). The problem with the pickups was that they were noisy single-coils, not that they didn't pick up the response of the B-string.

Good B-string response to me is more a function of good build quality and structure of the bass, scale length of the neck, plus the break angle, guage and tension of the strings. These are all mechanical things rather than electrical.