5-string narrow neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wendy Parker, Dec 31, 2005.

1. I'm looking for feedback on a new/good used 5-string BG with a narrow fret board. My bass teacher suggested MM Stingray or Bongo. I'm also wondering about Marcus Miller Jazz bass. I have a Yamaha & an Ibanez (both 4-string) but want to go for 5. Any suggestions or hands on experience is welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
    Wendy :)
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I know my Warwick Infinity SN 5 has a narrower neck than My F Bass BN5. But to be honest, I think the F Bass is easier to play. I'm not sure it will make that much difference once you get used to it unless you have very small hands.
    I'm not a big guy, I started on a MM SUB Sterling because of the size of the neck, but it doesn't make much difference anymore.
    I just checked the MM web site, looks like the Sterling comes in a five, that may be an option.
  3. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Steinberger narrow XL-25
  4. Don't know specific models but most Peaveys have narrow necks, and some Ibanez models are very narrow.
  5. p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    An SR5 is a good choice and also check out a Pedulla bass (they're narrow and thinner than an SR5. The Marcus Miller 5 is pretty heafty.
  6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Carvin LB 75. Thin, fast and comfortable.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Good + Narrow = Stingray 5. Quality so good you can buy it online (like Rics) sight unseen. If you do have issues or questions, the owner, a couple of luthiers and a CS rep hang out in the Ernie Ball forum and always go out of their way to make sure you are happy.

Get the dual pup model.
  8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    To me, the G&L L2500 has a fairly narrow neck. Very playable. I've found that when the neck is too narrow, I have problems at the first 2 frets because the strings get pretty crowded. I'm a small hands guy, too, so if you have large hands it might be a problem.
  9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Ibanez SR series, Schecter, Spector, Dean, MTD, all have narrow necks and string spacing. The StingRay 5 is medium I wouldn't exactly call it narrow. The narrowest being the Ibanez SR and the Dean. ;)
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah but he also said "good".