1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-string Neck shape/size advice please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancrocker, Oct 3, 2009.

1. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    I'm shopping for a 5-string. I have a P-bass 4-string. Today, I played several: Lakland, Sadowsky, Zon, 5-string P, Mike Lull P. A few weeks ago, I played a Schecter Elite. I'm pretty much a novice so I'm still discovering what I like and don't like in terms of sound and neck shape. My criteria so far for the 5-string have been 35" scale, active electronics with bypass (to give me more control of the tone).

Since I'm comfortable with my P-bass, I tend to gravitate towards this kind of neck. The Mike Lull has this but it's a bit out of my price range. And, the one I played is too similar to my P-bass in terms of sound to be interesting. Of the other ones, I tended to like the Lakland due to the variety of sound and the price (I played the 55-01). The string spacing was tighter than my P and the neck was thicker which sort of threw me off. The Sadowsky neck seemed huge and I was told they only come in 34" scale. The Zon was interesting but I didn't care for the sound quite as much as the Lakland.

The other detail worth noting is that I have small hands.

So, here's my dilemma:
    Something like the Lakland seems to have a relatively narrow neck (for a 5-string) with tighter string spacing but the neck is thicker (is this a "C" shape?). A P-bass neck is probably wider but thinner (a "D" shape?). I'm struggling to decide which I'd be better off with in the long run. I assume/hope I'd be able to adapt to the string spacing and the different shaped neck, but I really don't know. I find it hard to come to any conclusions after playing with it for the 15-20 minutes I spent in the store because it probably takes longer than this to adapt. Does one shape lend itself better to small hands? Does one tend to make your hands tired more quickly?

In case it matters, I play fingerstyle (no slapping/popping).