5 string necks similar in feel to Lakland’s? Sadowsky’s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz4Me, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Jazz4Me

Jazz4Me Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    I’ve been playing a Lakland 55-02 for the past 8 months and love it and I’ve got a Lakland USA 55-94 on order. I’ve been wondering if the are any other brands that a similar profile neck. Specifically interested in, besides the different nut sizes, how a Sadowsky 5 string neck compares to the Lakland.

Any insights that can provided would be much appreciated until I get a chance to travel the several hours needed to put my hands on one. Or am I better off staying exclusively with the Lakland neck?

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Xotic XJ-1T have nice slim neck profile

3. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    A Sadowsky 5 is a little wider and hefty than a typical Lakland 5 string neck. I’ve owned examples of both. The Sadowsky is not uncomfortable, but there is a difference. I prefer the Lakland neck a little bit more for comfort and speedier playing, but I play the Sadowsky for the sound.

Lakland doesn’t get everything right, but their typical 5 string neck carve is a wonder to behold. If you really like Lakland necks, you may have found home and should consider just sticking with them. In many cases, the grass is not greener on the other side.

4. Jazz4Me

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, That's kind of where I'm leaning. I took a chance on the 55-02 and it's the first 5 string I've bonded with. Not sure I'd want to take a chance on another brand without putting my hands on it first. I was pleasantly surprised when Lakland told me all their 5 string necks were interchangeable (except, perhaps, for the DJ-5).

I could certainly be happy with just Lakland in my current situation. Maybe I'll buy a Sadowsky Archtop rather than a bass.

cxcxcx likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I have a Carvin SB5000. Ive heard the necks are similar.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sadowsky’s have wider nuts. The Pedulla I used to have has the neck profile closest to a Sadowsky five I have ever seen on a Non-Sadowsky.

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Just to clarify …. I meant that I heard the Lakland and Carvin SB5000 has similar necks. But I don’t know for certain. I’ve never tried the Lakland due to the 35 scale length.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oh, I see. The SB5000 neck is thinner front to back than a Lakland five string neck along with a slightly narrower nut than Lakland.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I moved from Lakland to a Mike Lull PJ5 and then bought a Sadowsky Metro Jazz 5. All three necks are very easy to play and I didn't notice any real differences. These necks are fast, smooth and very easy to play. The Lull and Sadowsky necks are very similar. Did I say they were easy to play?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I've played several different brands over the years and have never found a neck as comfortable ( to me) as the Lakie 5er neck.

That's why I stick with em!

Carl Pedigo has a slightly different profile which is excellent but he starts with the Lakie profile so I keep it in the same camp as Lakland.

bassbully likes this.
  11. Drkwdsman

Drkwdsman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    I play Roscoes and Laklands because of their feel, sound, and necks.

12. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    It has been my experience that once you find a neck profile that you are comfortable with, stick with it. I'm partial to MM-SR5, G&L-JB5 neck profiles. I have a beautiful cherry burst Lakland 5502 that sounds great. However, no matter how much I play it, I can't connect with the 35" scale, the nut width, and the spacing at the bridge. I'll probably end up selling or trading it.

13. dpaul

dpaul

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    I have a Spector Forte 5 string (the one in my avatar picture) with a wide but thin neck profile, 35” scale length and 19mm string spacing. The profile feels very similar to the Lakland neck profile, but with a wider nut (which I prefer). The bass had to be custom ordered that way, but it feels, plays and sounds amazing.

red_bassist likes this.
  14. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    You’ve made the right choice by going to a US Lakland. The reputation bring people to Lakland and the necks keep people there. The Skylines are about 80-90% of a US but that last little bit really kicks. The Classic series makes it really reasonable to get into the US Line of Lakland.

chris_b likes this.
  15. Jazz4Me

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    I'm turning 60 this year so I'm treating myself and going full bore with a 55-94 in a custom mixed color.

16. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    This.

When speaking in general, I prefer the Lakland’s neck and feel. The slimmer nut width (1.81” vs. 1.875”) of the Lakland is better for me.

With that said, the neck of a Sadowsky Will Lee 5, which is my current main player, feels better than any Lakland I’ve owned or played. The Will Lee 5 has a 1.75” nut width and the carve and taper are about the best I’ve found for a bass with 19mm string spacing at the bridge.

17. Jazz4Me

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    I once wanted to buy a Lull 4 string but I ended spending the money on a piano for my best friend's 5 children. It's proven time and time again to be the better investment.

18. Jazz4Me

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, the slimmer nut is what sold me on the Lakland. The option Sadowsky has that Lakland doesn't is a 24 fret model with soap bars in the modern position but I'm reluctant to buy with out at least playing one first. Of course he has that singlecut design that looks really nice too.

19. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    The nut width can make a big difference for sure. I love the sound of the Sadowsky Modern 5-24 basses - very Smith-ish. Has that midrange bite that can be very cutting, but they can be warmed up with a little VTC adjustment.

With the pickup placement, you never get rid of the inherent sound of the Modern, but it’s plenty versatile between just pickup pan and VTC, not even getting into EQ.

If I can ever find a NYC 5-24 with 1 ¾” nut width, I’m definitely going to try and scoop it up.

20. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    It always depends on the player.

I’ve had Laklands and Sadowskys and Lulls. And I found out the following.

I do not care for 35” scale.
    I don’t need active electronics.
    I will never need more than 20 frets.
    I don’t need a 10 pound instrument.
    I don’t care for anything more than 17 mm spacing.
    I don’t like single cut.
    Neck through is over rated.
    Sadowsky 5 string necks are always to wide(for me).
    Nothing beats the sound of a Fender.
    Fender makes the best 5 string. Again for me.

KaseOfBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021