5 string necks similar in feel to Lakland’s? Sadowsky’s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz4Me, Jun 19, 2021.

1. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Despite your preference for Fender, you just described a G&L JB-5. It slipped my mind, but I've owned a JB-5 and it had a very nice feeling neck (1.77" nut width on those). String spacing was a little tight for me, but not out of the question after playing EBMM 5-strings for several years. Didn't particularly care for the 9.5" radius either (I'd opt for their 11" radius if given the option), but it was a great bass with a very comfortable neck. There was word that they were working on making a 19mm string spacing version, which I'd definitely like to try.

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't heard explicitly that those two necks were similar, but I have inferred that Carvin and Lakland might be similar as I belief they both subscribe to the same approach to shaping an asymmetrical neck profile: thinner (front-to-back) on the treble side than it is on the bass side. Almost like an airplane wing.

If I'm not mistaken, pre-Gibson Tobias basses used that same approach. Also some early-1990s Modulus basses, particularly the TBX series (because the neck profile was allegedly designed by Mike Tobias).

Since I can't think of too many other asymmetrical neck shapes that would be advantageous to bass playing besides the one I described, I suspect that any neck with an asymmetrical profile might feel similar to a Lakland. Maybe...

3. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Had both a 55-02 and a Fbass BN5 and although the neck was a tad wider on the Fbass they were both close enough to easily switch back and forth without any issues but obviously there is a big price difference between the two, if the Lakland had been a 55-94 I would have kept it.

4. Jazz4Me

Jazz4Me Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Fbass caught my eye as well. When you say the Fbass is a tad wider, are you referring to the depth of the neck (front to back)? Or is the fretboard a little wider towards the body as the Fbass has a narrower nut than the Lakland. Thanks for the input on Fbass, it's definitely on my try in I can find one list.

jim nolte likes this.
  5. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    The Fbass felt a little wider towards the 12th fret even though both are 19 mm, front and back depth seemed to be about the same at least not enough to notice, It’s been my main player for 21 years now but in retrospect if they had the VF series back then I probably would have bought that instead as I still prefer a Fender style body for ergonomic reasons.

6. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Just to add my vote for how wonderful and comfortable the Lakland Skyline 5 string neck feels. All the specs say to me that I wouldn't like it (35"scale, 19mm spacing, flattish radius) but I wouldn't change a thing on my 55-60. Now looking for a 55-64 to go with it.

chris_b likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021