1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-string newbie question---it is common

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p-nut95, Mar 7, 2008.

1. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I just got myself a five string and im not so sure how much i like a low B string.......is it a common thing for bassist to tune up so its E A D G ?...which is my next question what would u tune the next string to.:smug:

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Some bassists go E A D G C. I'm sure there are sting sets you can buy which have this tuning.

I'm curious about your trouble with the low B string. What's not working for you?

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm guessing you mean use EADGC strings and don't really mean tuning it up that high. If you tuned it up that much you'd have an easier time shooting arrows with it than playing bass with it! :D

I don't know if it's "common" and I've never done it, but from reading here it certainly seems there a lot of people who've either tried it, prefer it, have multiple five strings and have both a low B and a low E in their collection, etc. It also seems like the most common way to string it is with a high C string so the bass is tuned in fourths rather than tuning that high string to a B like on a guitar.

One other thing to think about. I don't use the low notes as much as I use the B to play more toward the bridge where the frets are closer together. I find it easier to play that way and I also likek the sound of the heavier guage string playing the notes. You get a pretty beefy tone that way.

4. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    My advice: give it time. Yeah, it DOES seem "weird" at first, until you start using it. Eventually, you wonder how you got along without it.

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Don't give up-I've been playing a 5 string since 1976; the day I got it, I took it to a gig. You'll be amazed that everyone doesn't play one.