Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string newbie!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by vincentpghpa, Jan 23, 2006.

1. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Any advice for a newbie 5 stringer. no good with 4 strings either though.

Any good finger exercises for speed? Any other advice?

Can anyone recommend some songs I can get tab for that are played on a 5 string?

Also I might be considering lessons. What should I look for in a teacher?

2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    If you are new to the bass, don't worry too much about speed. Practice scales in all positions up and down the neck until you can't stand it anymore. Then practice some more. Find a teacher you have some chemistry with who will teach you the fundamentals. Learn to play all kinds of music and play with anyone you can every chance you get.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lots of good resources in our General Instruction and Technique forums.

4. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Any other advice?

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Chances are you are probably pretty excited about getting your 5er (congrats) and wanna get right into it and learn some songs by bassists who use 5 strings. If this is the case, check out these -

311 - Flowing, You Wouldn't Believe, Creatures (For A While) + many others...P-nut is a very tasteful 5 string player and a superb bassist.

Staind - So Far Away, Right Here, Home

Papa Roach - Between Angels and Insects - one of the 1st songs I learned to play when I got my 5 string...a great bassline with some nice fills in the interlude.

Enjoy and have fun! :bassist:

6. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Can someone give an example of scales?

7. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI