5-string noob question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Nov 8, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i have never played a 5-string bass before but i'm in a new band with everything dropped to D.

i currently play a 4-string american jazz deluxe through a 6x10 HLF and svt 3 pro. my rig sounds great - i'm really happy with it.

but i need a backup bass, and i think i should get a 5 string so i have more options in the lower range.

i am fishing for some opinions from everyone here on how well the fender MIM 5 strings are. do they sound and play good? or should i consider another brand?

BTW - the style of music is indie / emo rock (i guess). click below for a listen.

thanks a ton,
  2. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I played a Precision dropped to D for about 10 years before I finally took the plunge and got a 5. Now I just play the 5 - so I would say go for it.

Sorry, can't comment on Fender 5s, haven't played them. I can recommend Lakland Skylines, though, my daily player is a 55-01.
  3. I'd look into an MTD Heir or Kingston. I have and Heir, and that bass is amazing. There are not enough words to describe how great this bass is, especially for the price. Mine has an Aguilar 2-band preamp, and that helps, but I usually just keep the bass and treble flat. I can gt pretty much any sound out of this bass that I want. I'd stay away from Fender 5s, they tend to have bad Bs.
  4. If you're thinking along the lines of MIM Fender, may I suggest checking out Yamaha?

I have a BBN5 II which I believe isn't made anymore.
    The closest one from their 2002 lineup looks like the BB405. Check it out: www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DisplayModel/?EBS00004BB405

Their basses have a very Fender-like look, feel and sound to them. It's only $349 at www.Musiciansfriend.com

I paid $400 for mine and believe me, most of Yamaha's stuff is very underrated. If you want to spend a little more, I'd say check out an Ibanez BTB. They'd go for about $600.

Good luck.

Mike J.
  5. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    I would recommend the Warwick 5ers but they are a little costy. Another bass in the same price range is the Musicman Stingray 5. However, if you want a great fiver cheap, buy a used or an MTD Kingston, I think they have the tightest B string in their price range.