1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-string noob question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Nov 8, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hello,
    i have never played a 5-string bass before but i'm in a new band with everything dropped to D.

i currently play a 4-string american jazz deluxe through a 6x10 HLF and svt 3 pro. my rig sounds great - i'm really happy with it.

but i need a backup bass, and i think i should get a 5 string so i have more options in the lower range.

i am fishing for some opinions from everyone here on how well the fender MIM 5 strings are. do they sound and play good? or should i consider another brand?

BTW - the style of music is indie / emo rock (i guess). click below for a listen.

thanks a ton,
    erikhttp://artists.mp3s.com/artists/378/vespertinemp3s.html

2. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I played a Precision dropped to D for about 10 years before I finally took the plunge and got a 5. Now I just play the 5 - so I would say go for it.

Sorry, can't comment on Fender 5s, haven't played them. I can recommend Lakland Skylines, though, my daily player is a 55-01.

3. I'd look into an MTD Heir or Kingston. I have and Heir, and that bass is amazing. There are not enough words to describe how great this bass is, especially for the price. Mine has an Aguilar 2-band preamp, and that helps, but I usually just keep the bass and treble flat. I can gt pretty much any sound out of this bass that I want. I'd stay away from Fender 5s, they tend to have bad Bs.

4. If you're thinking along the lines of MIM Fender, may I suggest checking out Yamaha?

I have a BBN5 II which I believe isn't made anymore.
    The closest one from their 2002 lineup looks like the BB405. Check it out: www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DisplayModel/?EBS00004BB405

Their basses have a very Fender-like look, feel and sound to them. It's only $349 at www.Musiciansfriend.com

I paid $400 for mine and believe me, most of Yamaha's stuff is very underrated. If you want to spend a little more, I'd say check out an Ibanez BTB. They'd go for about $600.

Good luck.

Mike J.

5. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    I would recommend the Warwick 5ers but they are a little costy. Another bass in the same price range is the Musicman Stingray 5. However, if you want a great fiver cheap, buy a used or an MTD Kingston, I think they have the tightest B string in their price range.