5-String Nu-B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbanks, Aug 6, 2003.

1. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    OK. I broke down and bought a 5-string. It a Copley, don't know which model. Took it the shop, told them to get it in shape and now it plays pretty good. And, now I see what everbody's been raving about. Dropping to the B-string is a charge. Now I have retrain some muscle memory and I'll be set! Interesting turn of events.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Way to hum. Now you're a REAL bass player.
  3. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  4. Congrats! I've been a 5 string owner for about 10 years now. To me it seems the norm, although last night through my band practise I used a four, almost exclusivley fingerstyle - which was a big change for me ( a nice one too!)

My first 5er was a Washburn XS-5. Nice little bass for the money. Nowadays my 5ers are Spectors, a Euro 5 and a REX2000/5
  5. enjoy playing with the 5'er and see if you can get some sound clips later!!!
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Well... actually the Copley taught me the meaning of the words "200 DOLLAR BASS". I thought maybe I was just too old and set in my ways, until I tried a 1400 Dollar Warrior at a local pawnshop. All that fluff and buzz wasn't just me. This Copley just sucked! So... I ordered a 5ver Lightwave I saw on Ebay for $450,(I mean... $1400 for what may turn out to be a hobby and passion, I didn't have that!). I just hope it works and the neck don't twist. (Just realize, after all these years, I never knew was a truly bad neck was.)
  7. good luck man.......sorry you learned the hard way about a Copley....heh..there is this really long thread about them...
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, read that thread after I bought it. The bad thing was, the sound I found appealing and I thought about getting a good neck, but I gave it to my son and advised him to have the neck replaced.