1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string nut width

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phendyr_Loon, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Hello, pretty straight forward question here. I bought this neck, a I want to built a fretless.

Vintage Gibson NOS Maple EB /Triumph Bass Neck | eBay

I'm in the process of choosing a body shape, (either EB or viola), and parts like bridge, tuners, pu,s etc.
    The nut width measures out to 1 3/4", is this wide enough for a 5 stringer? The other option I was considering was to somehow taper the neck down to a 1 1/2" nut and doing a 4 string. I just can't stand playing anything wider than a P bass neck, (I actually prefer J necks for a 4 string setup).
    Thanks.

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Definitely wide enough for a 5 string.

3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I also prefer a Jazz width, and my 5 string basses are all 1 3/4". You'll find the string spacing at the nut familiar.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    1 3/4" is doable.........I prefer 1 15/16"+ though........

5. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Wow! Thanks for the quick replies.

One other question I have, which I just thought of. The truss rod is of a significant size, (not massive but not cheap), should I add graphite stiffening rods to the neck or rely on the wood and truss rod to bear the tension of the strings?