5 String Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SheepHerder7898, Jul 24, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of buying a good 5 string in the near future and need some help. I need a good bass under $1000 that wil last a LONG time. I have no job so I don't have a constant cash flow. I'm looking for a bass that can pump out the lows but can also handle the high register. I tend to play more slow stuff than hard but sometimes I just need to *attempt* the funk. All suggestions are welcome as I have a long while to think about it.

Oh, I have tried a MIA Jazz V for $800, nice bass but I just want to look at my options.

Thanks in advance.
  2. If you don't mind the used market the Peavey Millenium 5 and the Cirrus are very good basses.I got a Millenium 5 for $1000 new and it's as good a quality as any American jazz I've tried.It is way more versitile soudwise also.Lots of guys on this board have the Cirrus and it's also a great bass.Do a search,there are lots of threads on these.
  3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    have you looked into the Lakland Skylines?

4. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Mark down another vote for the Cirrus. (A local dealer here in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area recently was clearing out some older in-stock Cirrus models for well under $1k a few months back. There are good deals to be had.)

good luck!

5. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    G&L L2500 or a Used Stingray5
  6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm selling a used natural/rosewood stingray 5 (dead mint). PM me if interested.
  7. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Used stingray 5 is your best bet...:)
  8. Thanks for the replys. No I haven't tried any Skylines, none around my parts that I know of. Same with the Peavey's. The Stingray is high on my list. I really like the feel, so I'll probably end up getting one of those. Thanks again.
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    used Ray 5, used MIA Deluxe 5, or a carefully equipped DP [base price or a 5 is around $650]. thats all
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    used stingray5 for sure
  12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    By the way there is a 5 string lakland skyline going for 500 and a stingray5 for 750 over in the classifieds.