1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

5 string or 6 string??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Oct 29, 2003.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I disagree unless you are trying to work as a studio musician. Otherwise, you should have the instrument that speaks to you on a personal and spiritual level.

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    emjazz

I absolutely agree with your statement, tho' I have high end 5 and 6 strings basses, but I always play my 4, considering the music
    I play and no body ask me to play 5 or 6.

3. Or, I could just have a fretted 7 and a fretless 7, and play anything that you could play on 4 basses on my 2, and more. Just because the strings are there doesn't mean you need to use them. Good producers and show people won't care what happens if you have good tone, good time, and good groove.

4. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    WOW this thread has gotten REALLY interesting!!

Joe, that's another consideration I've been thinking about. When I first got a 5-string, it was a drag switch between a 5 and a 4 - couldn't get used to the drastic difference in string spacing. Would that be a big problem with a 6 and a fretless 5? It doesn't seem to be in the stores, but how about if I OWN the 5 and 6?

I've bounced back and forth about the cost too. There's generally about a $200 difference between a 5 and a 6 - not a big deal. I figure it would be another $150-200 a year to afford packs with the added C string. Am I way off on that?

GooseYard, I'm sure that was not me. I left Wisconsin in 1987. I only come to Milwaukee now to visit my mother in a nursing home. But that's one thing the MADISON campus can crank out is bassists with some real passion in their playing. That's Richard Davis' stamp! He pulls it out of you!

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I switch back and forth between my 5 and 6 and at most it takes me playing a scale to used to the difference.

When i switched i only had about a <$100 increase in string money. I switched to a more expensive brand that lasted longer.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021