Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

???????????5-string or 6-string???????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TribalEagle, Apr 10, 2005.

5- or 6-string

Poll closed Apr 17, 2005.
  1. 5-string

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. 6-string

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Now simply tell me which one is better to metal music, 5-string or 6-string. I just want to hear your opinion and know what people generally think.
    Which one is more fun to play and which is more versatile.....
    What things do you appreciate most....
    So here is a poll, vote and make a difference :)

(I couldn’t find this kind of poll with the "search". Topic is kind of old but let’s put it all to gather once a gain)

2. What kind of metal?

More than likely you'll just be on the low end, so you probably wont use anything higher than the E string, so i'd say just get a 5

3. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    All kind of music what you can say as metal.... Everything from Deam Theater to Metallica and even harder.... John Myung uses six, Trujillo uses five......
    There is no one answer to this question, so that is why I made it a poll....

4. 11 string.

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    If you wanna play DT you'll most likely need a 6-stringer.

If you dont mind going up to the 20+ fret on the G-string.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Not a metal player, but I use my 6 primarily in situations where I have to provide chordal support and take alot of solos. The 6 string is definitely more versatile, but I think having 5 strings is great for most things. If you're doing DT you'll save yourself alot of aggravation by buying a 6.

With a 6 you tend to play more across the fingerboard than up and down due to the range you have in a 4 fret span. On a six string you have access to 24 notes without changing positions. Can't go wrong with either, but for most purposes a 5 is great.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the instrument. IME it is harder to find a good quality 6 string than 5 string. Usually because of supply and demand. As always it's a matter of taste.... Remember there are some great players who only use 4 strings...

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    id say a 5 if you are doing the stereotipical bang the strings and yell like fieldy and korn. but if you are going towards the classier metal like DT then i would say 6.

8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    for any type of music, what you can play best, what works for you best. If you have answered these, you could easily answer this one yourself. best.

9. get a 6 string...i like the high c better than the low b anyway. i wish i'd gotten a 5 string tuned to E A D G C now.

10. if ur doing metal i would say go with the 5 string u most metal usaly only uses BEA strings

11. Whatever feels most comfortable to you is best. In all honesty there is probably little music that can be played on a six that can't be played on a five. Maybe not note for note, but the music can still be played on it. And if you need the low end and are most comfortable on a 4 string... there's always BEAD tuning.

12. I play 5s and a 6, and I think a 5 is better for most situations you'll find yourself in. I find that the high C gets lost in a mix easily, and if you aren't chording at all, it's really unnecessary. The wide 6 string neck also will fatigue your wrist faster than a 5 will - I have that problem when playing fast stuff on a 6. I love the ability to throw in little comping parts high up on the neck and play two-handed tapping parts with the 6, but really, for 95% of stuff I do, the 5 is just plain better and easier.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A new nut, a setup, and a new set of strings is all you need to remedy that.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    In my opinion, ALWAYS get a 6 string over a 5 string. You're still getting that low B on a 6 string (absolutely neccessary for metal) and then you're getting a higher string too.

BTW: I'm in a metal band and I play a 6 string. :)

15. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    The thing about the six string is that I`m affaraid of loosing the cool feeling of playing.... With this "feeling" I mean something what you can see in Robert Trujillo`s or possibly in Fieldy playing. The energetic way to smash the strings and play bass down on your knees... :bassist:
    Many say that with six string you have to lift the playing position more up, like guitar style..... I think that I don`t want that.
    Can you really play the "mighty six" in that fun energetic way??
    I hope I made my self clear to you (yes I know, bad english... I can`t help it)

16. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Years ago, I was primarily interested in a high C string so I got a fiver and set it up that way. I never took to that bass (and it was a nice bass; F Bass) and shortly sold it.

Fast forward to the present and I'm interested in the high C again. This time I got a six string. I'm in heaven :hyper: . It just seems so natural. Yes, I did have to relearn points of reference (the fifth fret is now E and not A) and scale fingerings (which is what I was trying to avoid with the high strung fiver) but it was worth it.

I played out with it for the first time Saturday. The meat and potato notes were on the middle four strings. If I needed higher or lower, they were right there. No position shifts.

LeonD

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Six for me hands down. FOREVER! John Myung plays rock with a six as well as the bassist from Los Lonley Boys who is an awesome bassist. In terms a versitality the six string will prevail, especialy for chordal stuff. If you're playing jazz you definately should go with a six. I do have a few fives that I love and sometimes play but I prefer six.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    actually JM hardly ever uses the C string, his primarily bass was a 4 string Music Man on WDADU and a Spector 4 string on Images and words, he started using 6 strings because of the B string and uses the C string very sparely. After all it's rock so he's mainly using the bottom strings.

19. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You dont need to play a 6 up on your chest, you can play it at your knee's if thats comfterable for you.

Look at the bass player from American Head Charge, He uses a 6 string Spector I belive. Wear a bass wherever you have an easy time playing and screw everyone else.

In all honest whatever floats your boat on this one, I prefere the options of a 6er but its not required. 5 strings are usefull because you dont have tune up and down as much. WHatever feels and sounds good for you.

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yessir. Best Post of the thread.