1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String or stick with 4

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by scottie65, Jan 24, 2014.

1. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    Colorado
    Hi Anthony,
    I think I had seen you and Victor on a video once and all I can say is that you two are awesome. My question is that I am wondering if I should try going to a 5 string bass and if so what are some of the advantages of having the low b note. Is there that much music out there that one would use it or is it something just good to have in case a person wanted to do more solo playing? Just trying to get a little advice.
    Thanks,

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Scottie,

I guess everyone's reason for playing extended range basses is different. I don't think play a 5-string with a low B for soloing. I think people general add higher strings for soloing and chording. But the role of the instrument(and it's name) suggest 'foundation'. The low B is conducive to the role of the instrument.

But adding strings also add options. You more places to play the same notes(frequency).

I started play 5 string basses to cover the synth bass in a lot of Pop sings. Then I got used to the benefit of having multiple versions of the same notes. It's actually 'harder' for me to play a 4 string bass than a 5 string bass.

peace,
    anthony

3. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Oct 31, 2013
    I just swapped a few weeks back after 15 or so years with nothing but a 4. It was a touch tricky for me! at first cause I kept hitting G for a C,B for E and so on. Habit was telling me the B was my E string. But I'm getting more accustomed and although I'm not using the B string that much yet!! I dont think I'll be going back. After a few weeks I already put the 4 down pretty fast when I pick it up.