Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    was just wondering if people could recommend a bass that can nail a p tone... would like for it to be more flexable than that but a p five is important.

i know about the pj sadowsky, the fender deluxe, and the lull.

discuss,,,,

2. If you dont mind cheap...you could always go with the Squire 5 string special.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

4. Hey, its a Pbass and has 5 strings :p :D

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    no..its a SQUIER and has 5 strings :meh:

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    higher end stuff guys lol

7. He didnt say anything about quality now ;)

8. Dang, he did now i guess lol

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Look at the post above you.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  11. Yeah, we must have posted at the same time...it wasnt there when i hit reply :p

12. actually I don't think this is the right bass for you mainly because -- I really would like to buy it. so don't make me come after you :D

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

comfy even :cool:

you know... there is no need to fight now. Chris will build more :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. They call it a Precision bass, but it has 2 J pickups.:rolleyes:

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sadowsky makes a 5-string PJ, but it has a Jazz body so it doesn't count as a P-bass. ;)

There's the Benevente noted above... awesome old-school mojo, but I haven't touched one.

I have a Mike Lull P5. It has 35" scale, and with its ash body has bright, snappy tone that cuts through nicely (alder body is also available). Neck is very slim and fast. The only negative for me is that string spacing is 17mm instead of 19mm. My P5 is passive, but onboard EQ is an option. My P5 also has the J bridge pup, but I never use it.

I love the playability of the Fender P5. Tone is closer to the traditional P-bass tone than Lull (perhaps because it has 34" scale?) The reason I chose Lull over Fender is because I didn't care for the Fender 9V preamp. However this year's P5 has an 18V preamp which I understand sounds much nicer (haven't heard it myself). The Fender has a bridge pup.

16. That Benavente 51 is sweeeeeet! :smug:

So does the Mike Lull P5:
    [​IMG]

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I give a big thumbs-up to both the Lull P5 and the Benavente '51. They're both outstanding basses made by to outstanding people. If you're looking for a vintage-inspired P5, I don't think you could miss with the Lull....a great value and tremendous "bang for the buck". Likewise, if you're looking for something with more of a modern tone and want to stand out in a crowd (not to mention cutting tbrough in your band), then the Benavente '51 is the one for you! Either way, I think you'd be happy with the end result.

18. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    G&L made one for a few years called the L5000 or L5500. Nailed the P tone. They pop up on Ebay every now and then.

19. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    There's Sadowsky's P/J and I think Fender makes an American Deluxe P/J