Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string P Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by harley_ou812, May 20, 2002.

1. I have been thinking about experimenting on a Kingston. I would like to add a p pickup in the P-bas location. I am planning on having 2 outputs on the bass one for the P pickup and one for the MM pickup. So while doing this I could roll off the lows on the MM pickup and run chorus and have the lows on the Pbass clean. Or have the P pickup cleam by itself or the MM pickup clean by itself. SO my question Is is there any P bass pickups that will fot in a 5 string Kingston? I know it will trake md work Just curious if I can find a picup that the poles will fall under the strings as need be.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    EMG and Bartolini make P types for fivers. In either case,
    string spacing shouldn't be an issue - they both have
    "blade" style polepieces.

3. The split-P and MM sweet spots overlap. You will have to move the P closer to the neck, or reverse it where the D-G portion of the pickup is closer to the neck, instead of closer to the bridge.

The sweet spot for a split-P is 11.0" from the 12th fret to the center of the pole pieces on the E-A section of the pickup.

The MM sweet spot is 13.09" from the 12th fret to the pole pieces closest to the neck. The physical edge of the pickup itself is 12.65" from the 12th fret.