1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string passive pickup suggestion needed?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GregBlach, Apr 16, 2009.

1. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    Hi all,

I am in need of a single passive pickup with use for a Swamp Ash body and a 5 string fretless maple/ebony neck. I am only planning to put a volume pot' on the bass, no sound control/adjustment.

I was looking at the EMG-40HZ but would like other (better, cheaper??) suggestions too.

:smug:

/Greg

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    rather than the woods I think a description of the sound you want and style of music would be better. EMGs are great, but so are a lot of other brands.

3. P1270319.

P1270320.

4. lofreek

lofreek

Jul 19, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Lace Alumitones.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What type of tone are you looking for?

6. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    Yeah, should have mentioned something about the tone of course. Sorry guys... :rolleyes:

Looking for a midrangy, crisp sound. Ultimately I'd like the sound of Gary Willis, but I'm afraid that requires a bit more than a good pickup. :smug:

7. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    Geoff, is the SMB5D not an active pickup? It seems to be recommended to use with active circuits.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's passive. I've installed a bunch of those in Jazz basses for one customer. But most people use them with the Basslines MM preamp.

MM-jazz-mod04.

9. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    And it makes sense that I only want to use Volume and no tone controls, right? I always end up setting the tone controls on my basses flat anywy and make the adjustments on the amp.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Your call on the tone control, of course, but a basic control is pretty standard for quick tweaking. It's a good pickup, pissibly a little bright; the AlNiCo version might suit you better.

11. Unfortunately, the SMB5D is now sold - I was, actually, just making a recommendation. But it works just fine passive.

:)

12. quee

quee

Jul 28, 2005
  13. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    quee -> Thanks for your suggestion, but I was looking for a single pickup solution.