Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string pickup for rick sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by harley_ou812, May 27, 2005.

1. Hey everyone. I am hoping someone can help me out here.. I have always dug the ric sound. I just cant get used to 4 string necks. I was wondering if anyone knew of a pickup that captured the rick sound but would fit the string spacing on a 5 string Jazz bass. I love the spacing of a 5 string jazz and if I could find pickups that would suit I would concider buiilding/ Haveing built a 5 string bass with a jazz bass string spacing and rickenbacker pickups. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m afraid I have to disappoint you....

The Ric sound is a combination of the woods, design, neck construction and the pickups.

Only a Ric sounds like a Ric..... IMHO you won´t even get close to the Ric sound with any pickup available.

If so, then I´d like to know about it....

3. I know that wood, construction and pickups all go into it.. It just seemed to me that someone would have made pickups that would sound like it... I think that you should probably be able to find someone to custom make pickups if they are not readily available but then youd be looking at money.. hmm what to do

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The positioning of the pickups on a Rick has a lot to do with it, I believe. The pickups are located on the body where the 24th and 36th frets would be, if the Rick had them. Certain overtones are emphasized or de-emphasized at those positions. Anyone with a Rick (or at least a post-early '70s Rick with the neck pickup 1" away from the end of the neck) can tell you that if you solo the neck pickup and do some 5th-fret harmonics, they are almost inaudible through your amp (but of course you can still hear them acoustically.)