1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string pickup on a 4 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seamus bass, Apr 22, 2009.

1. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    yeah sounds dumb but i thought i would ask if could be done.
    i have a spare set of 5 string barts from an old project. there are no visible poles, could this be used on a 4 string bass?

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    probably not, you wont get proper string volume, did this with the 59js five stringers on a j profiled 4 and got perfect response from all strings but the D. D had no volume, but maybe someone else has had luck...

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Depends on exactly which pickup model it is. If it's one of the models with split coils, you have to be sure that one of the strings does fall in between the two coils. That's more of a problem using 4-string split-coil J pickups on a 5, though, since the D is in the middle and falls right where the split is.

Mike

4. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    well these are soapbars same manufacturer bass wise
    the model is a bartolini its the stock one on the upgraded conklin groove tools line.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Soapbar" is just a shape, it doesn't say anything about what's inside. Maybe look on the Conklin website, or call them, and they can tell you what's inside those soapbars.

A "blade" style pickup has long flat bars instead of poles-per-string, so that kind is fine with any number of strings and any string spacing. But they are less common.

6. would there be any advantage in using a 5 string pup on a 4? maybe more volume since theres bigger magnets, or different tone since there is technically more wire? -joep

7. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope, since neither of those things is necessarily true.

8. quee

quee

Jul 28, 2005
    Post up a message to see if anyone wants to do a swap

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're telling him to break TB rules. ;)

10. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    its no biggie just curious, ive heard though some barts can be used for 4 or 5 i thnk there j pups though.these are coils, i havent seen a blade in awhile.

11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, I think most of the Barts are blades--you just can't see the polepiece structure since they're covered.

12. That's also my understanding, so it should work OK.

13. Ok, there is an old midget sized (guess was meant to b used by kids or something) that I have as decoration, no bridge so no strings but a good pickup and the rest of the wiring and pots.

I was wondering if I could install that 8 poles pickup on a defretted 4 strings (Frankensteined by last owner) Barracuda PJ cheap a$$ed bass I've got with flatwounds or if i would be just a waste of time and effort ripping it out and trying to wire it somehow to the existing electronics.

Please be gentle with the answers.. lol :D

14. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    well the pickups on mine are sealed i dont really want to break it open, i got quite a few things going, i plan to move some stuff in and out of some of my basses and this was on the list. thnks guys

15. well i guess that explains it. haha. -joep