Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GnRDuff1, Jan 18, 2006.

1. GnRDuff1

GnRDuff1

Oct 15, 2004
    I know what kind of pickup I want in my 5-string. Problem is, they only make the pickup in 4-string. It's a Seymour Duncan STKJ2. I just heard a bass with this pickup a couple weeks ago, and I've been lookin' to replace the pickups in this bass for quite sometime, and I found that this is the one. Except for the size of the pickup, is there any real reason I couldn't put it in my 5-string?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

that's a pretty good reason if you plan to stick it in the same routing.

If not, as long as the perimeter strings are within the perimeter poles of the pup, it will work fine. At least in my exprience. Inititially I thought maybe if some strings were directly over poles and some in between it may cause volume variatons but I haven't experienced that. Anything within the magetic field is good to go in my experience.

However, if the perimeter strings are on the edge of the perimeter poles, you'll likely get a volume drop to the degree you bend the strings out of the strength of the field.

SD makes some 5 string pups. I would double check there's not an extended range equivalent as well as getting feedback from SD on how similar the 5's they do offer may be with the STKJ2. I've had that pup and it's decent.