Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string pickups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Evilbass, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Evilbass

Evilbass

Sep 15, 2000
    i have a 5 string ibanez soundgear (505). i need to replace the pickups badly, the bass is noisy and sounds bad. I was wondering if anyone can clue me in as to what pickups are good for a 5 string bass. I need something that doesn't make the low b string so muddy. i play heavy music kind of like pantera. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. billbassbuilder

billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    What do you mean 'bass is noisy and sounds bad'? Is it a ground hum, which would mean that little bare wire running from your pots to the bridge is broken or not making good contact. Are the pots noisy when you turn them (if so they may need cleaning).
    As far as your B string being muddy, keep in mind that your bass is a 34" scale. It's not uncommon for 34" B strings to sound a little weird.
    As far as pickups go, I'd say for the sound your after I think DiMarzio's, Aero, Lane Poor or even EMG (if you like a good slap tone too), would all be good possibilities.
    Good Luck

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The fact that it is 34" scale doesnt mean its got a bad B. Try out a Yamaha TRBJP...tight as hell, and its a 34". The fact that its an Ibanez Soundgear is the thing. They arent known for strong necks and tight neck joints, which has more of a baring on the B than anything. If its floppy, pickups wont help it.

But dude, if youre into Pantera, EMG's are by FAR the best choice, in my opinion. Rex Brown plays them, and i love his tone. So those would be awesome.