1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string PJ recs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcfrankson, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, GHS Strings
    Chris Benavente is building me a PJ5. Would also HIGHLY recommend Roscoe and Valenti.

pellomoco14 and DaveAceofBass like this.
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
  3. MarkM13

MarkM13

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    Another vote for a Yamaha BB series. Used, go for a 2025x; new BBP35. I have the lower BB435 and 425x and can't believe how good they are for the money. I'm considering selling the BB435 for a BBP35. They are that good. And the necks are devine; slim and fast.

4. Valenti.

Case closed.

5. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Those Yamaha’s mentioned are great

I personally love the sound of the Ibanez PJ’s (the cheap ones).. lots of depth of tone, and those great slim necks

6. BassTank84

BassTank84 Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Sidney, OH 45365
    There is a great deal on a Valenti PJ in the classifieds right now. I was thinking about purchasing it myself. Along with another comment, I also like Benavente PJ's. Currently I am lucky enough to have my Nordy!

3.JPG

Low84 likes this.
  7. If money is no object, I recommend Wilkins basses. I icked up my first PJ5 from Pat some years back and it totally killed my GAS. Comfortable, sounds great, top quality and Pat is one of the best people on Earth. I added another PJ5 from him a couple of years later (the one in my profile) and could not be happier.

8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I'd buy a Roscoe Classic if money wasn't an issue. But, it is. So, I made my own from an American Standard Jazz V. And did the push/pull-series/parallel mod on the neck volume pot.
    4gwvvre.

JRA and javi_bassist like this.
  9. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Don't make 'em any more, so you'll have to check the used market, but Schecter Diamond P5 is an absolute monster!
    Schecter Diamond P5.

10. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Lots of great suggestions here. I typically don’t like Roscoe basses, but I gotta say that Century bass looks killer. Yamaha and F Bass are also great. And frankly it’s hard to beat Sadowsky NYC—they are perfect right out of the box. I’ll add my personal favorite to the mix, Kinal. Mike Kinal makes great instruments. I love the neck and the body shape and his willingness to customize it as you wish. Here’s mine:
    A5B5CF00-6017-4A41-A863-0C0C0D631C86. 87C6C520-AFDD-4590-9707-36EEB6FA38B6.

JRA likes this.
  11. bararan

bararan

Jul 22, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Marco also offers a PJ now, apparently. Here's an article about it. Sounds pretty interesting to me.

While I have zero experience with this particular model, as the owner of another one of Marco's creations I can attest to the quality of his instruments and judging from my interactions with him he comes across as a very nice person.

12. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    FBass VF5 PJ. Killer.

vf5pj-430316-full.

Attached Files:

13. I'd look at Yamaha BB series too. I bought a BB735 that also made me buy a BB734. Now they are the only basses I play

14. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    I’ve seen and heard this bass in person and can tell you everything he says is true.

Skip Chucker likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i got nuthin', just came to gawk!

lots of cool axes here! :thumbsup:

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I would think that there must be several Ibanez models that fill the bill and with great necks and reasonable costs.

17. stretch80

stretch80 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    The Reverend Mercalli is a great sounding passive PJ (with reverse-P pickup, which I really like -the D and G strings have a lot of heft, all the way up the neck. And has wid-ish string spacing if you like that. Very well made and can be had relatively inexpensively.

Attached Files:

18. Needs to be a active eq bass. Passive 5 strings are generally muddy on the 5th string

19. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    S7300903.JPG This one does it for me , Ibanez TMB605 . It came with Nordies and I added an Audere pre, Hipshot A bridge and Hipshot lollipop ultralite tuners . It was great before the mods , very good option for not much coin .

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  20. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Ibanez 600 series or above has a great price to quality ratio, especially more recent used ones!