1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string players what amp do you use?;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Max melekhov, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Max melekhov

Max melekhov

Jan 13, 2017
    Israel
    Hi everyone! I use few good preamps for my bass tone, I need a good light weight amp combo ore head + cab for practice at home and with my band on high volume. I don't care about the preamp of the amp because Iit's all the time flat, what I really need it's a good speaker/s to work with my low B string and good quality of product.. brands I can buy in my country it's : GK,mark bass, peavey,tc electronic.aguilar.ampeg. With brand and amp (model)do you recommend guys?

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  2. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I use a Markbass tilt-back 210 and love it. It's never felt underpowered and Markbass is great for transparent tone. It handles my B string very well.

Max melekhov likes this.
  3. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Whatever you chose, consider getting an [SFX] MicroThumpinator to control your speakers and sound. It cut outs the frequencies that you cannot hear, and keeps your speakers from working too hard to produce them.

Wfrance3 and LiquidMidnight like this.
  4. Max melekhov

Max melekhov

Jan 13, 2017
    Israel
    Thanks , I like mark bass , interesting to know how the GK , less expensive ? sounds also lass good then mark bass ?

5. Can't go wrong with a GK MBf 800.I run mine thru a Bergantino HS 410. My band plays quite a few numbers in D and C and that rig rattles the windows!

Max melekhov likes this.
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I use a GK MB212 II combo for all of my basses, including my 5er. It is a great amp. Plenty of oomph, light weight, sounds great with every bass I own. Love that the tweeter can be turned off if desired. You can even turn off the GK mid scoop as well, for a flatter EQ response. Truly great amps.

7. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I use my Genzler Magellan 800 and anywhere from 1 to 3 of Genzler Array 12-3 cabinets. Best tone I've ever had.

Genzler Rig. Genzler Stack.JPG

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa Subway D800 for the win. For me it all came together when I tried the Mesa amp. I knew right away that was it. I have 2 of the Subway 15's and one of the 12's. Even when I use the 12 alone it can handle the B string from my Roscoe, and that's saying something. Not many single 12's can do that.

@Twocan also brings up a good point about the Micro Thumpinator...luckily the Mesa Subway amps have that function built in! The D800+ even has a variable control for it.

Mesa's are taking over. USA made, 5 year warranty, 2 ohm stable, best support there is. Boom.

[​IMG]

/\/\3phist0, Wfrance3, Deak and 3 others like this.
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I play Dingwalls (SJ5XXX and SPJ5) and a Roscoe SKB 3005, I use a Markbass CMD 102P, for large gigs I add a 102HF. I could get by with my cmd121h if going through a good P.A., but we are not a loud band.

Too bad you don't have easy access to Audiokinesis though....

Max melekhov likes this.
  10. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Right now I'm using a Mesa Subway D-800 and 2 Carvin BRX10.2NEO cabs with a Carvin BX500 for a backup.

Max melekhov likes this.
  11. Whatever amp I am plugged into at the time.

chadds, Sid Fang and Zooberwerx like this.
  12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thru' the years I've found that my quite sansamped tone (dialed tubey, but not scooped) helps create a constant thickness that mates well with my Stingray 5ers' natural cutting "PRRRRRRR-ness". Makes the low B as "slammable" as other strings too, you can really dig in for additional bite and it will make its response more in line with the rest of strings. A bass with a tight low B is of course helpful, a SansAmp (or similar "tubey" preamp that both voices and compresses) still can't work miracles, it helps as it thickens but you're still able to tell a tight low B from a sloppy one. With this setup I've used either 4x10, 1x15, 2x15 or combinations of them with a good low B on all of them. You don't need cabs with a low end response starting at 30hz to have a great low B, thickness and even an effective low B "grain" is more in the 80-120hz region. MANY detuners and 5 string metal players use sealed Ampeg fridges with a response starting around 60hz. Do they lack lows?

13. Max melekhov

Max melekhov

Jan 13, 2017
    Israel
    Good to know and I have to check it, I know for sure mb212 I can't find here, but mb 112 sales in one place, what do you think 1 speaker combo mb 112 200watt loud enough fo practice with drummer and 2 heavy guitars?

14. Max melekhov

Max melekhov

Jan 13, 2017
    Israel
    Ampeg is a good company with I use for long time,but the China made products make me feel not so relaxed . few years ago I had a problems with pf500 head and then my barroom practicing combo starts make noise. in nee something better quality construction but fo normal price

15. Max melekhov

Max melekhov

Jan 13, 2017
    Israel
    Wow it looks great !!! I never tried this brand!

16. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I've used a Hartke 3500, GK 700rbII and 1001rbII, GK MB200, Ampeg PF500, Line6 Pod Pro with QSC power amp.

The GK'S and the PF handled the low B, and other drop tunings such as drop C, B, and A the best.

Used quite a few different cabs with those heads, including Ashdown 410, 115, GK SBX810, 410, neo212, and an Ampeg 610hlf. All worked okay.... but Ashdown was the worst of the group.

Max melekhov likes this.
  17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm a 5 string player. I use GK.
    My head/cab combo is a MB800 with a CX410 @ 4 ohms
    My combo is a MB115

I always love my sound and I have no issue using either setup for any gig.

2milehighspike and Max melekhov like this.
  18. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Spector 5 in standard tuning. Demeter VTBP M 800D into a Barefaced Big Baby 2. No complaints. Not a cheap route, but worth it to me. Demeter would probably be hard for you to get. Barefaced ships globally from the UK, but you couldn't try before you buy.

Max melekhov likes this.
  19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO. . . you do need to care about the pre amp. Very few amps are actually flat, so the only way you can get a good sound with all the controls at noon is by finding the amp that provides your sound with little or no tweaking.

The best B string sounds come from the best cabs. I prefer smaller speakers and more of them. For my 5's I've used 410's and 210's but settled on multiple 12's. Add more cabs the louder you want to go. Mesa, GK and Genzler are great cabs, but you can get a good sound out of most cabs if you have good ears. I prefer cabs that are more powerful than the watts I'm putting into them. People like headroom in their amps, I like headroom in my cabs. I used Bergantino's for years and now use Barefaced.

Max melekhov likes this.
  20. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I use either
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 with 2x12t cabs
    A Genz Benz Contour 500 2x10
    Or a Ibanez Promethian 3110 with an Overton 110 ext cabinet
    Duke