1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string preamp vs. 6 string preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spunj13, Sep 7, 2008.

1. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    so i recently picked up an Ibanez SR-506, and upon plugging it in, i have no sound.

Tried replacing batteries and cables and input jacks, but have come to the conclusion that it is something else in the electronics.
    my question is this:

i also have an SR885 which has the same EQ set-up.

could i, theoretically (or... actually rather) swap out the preamp in the 5 to the 6? as far as i can tell, number of strings SHOULDN'T matter in this, should it?

(i'm still new to this, so some of these things are not something i understand yet.)

[spunj13]

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Hrm, dont think it matters. Although, i'm suprised you're getting no sound. Seen any loose connections from the preamp module?

3. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    we (myself and my drummer... who knows more about electronics than i do) have poked around quite a bit inside trying to find a loose solder point or bad wire and haven't been able to find anything.

and... i would imagine BOTH pickups can't be dead.
    it's a very confusing problem.

[spunj13]

4. You could wire the pickups directly to the jack to see if the electronics are at fault.

5. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i hadn't thought of that... it's not a bad idea.
    i think i'll try it.

[spunj13]