1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Precision type?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by torgeot, Aug 16, 2007.

1. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm looking to try out a precision but I really need a backup 5string, or a new full time one. Trying to find a 5 string Fender P is proving to be tough. Anyone suggest one that won't break the bank. I did look at the SX ones, but their 5 string P's have the Jazz pickups, so I'm assuming they will still sound like a jazz. I would like to keep it down to under 500 or at least around that range, but of course the cheaper the better...

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yamaha BB615 - $499.99 at MF

[​IMG]

There is also a passive version that looks the same for $50 less.

3. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    Do you have one of these? If so, how does it play and sound?

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't have one. I have played a few before, and I like them. Playability is nice, especially for the price. Sound is very Fender-ish, except that the J p/u at the bridge has a little bit more low end than a regular Jazz p/u. But that makes the p/u's a little more even in their output. The low B isn't the nicest around, but it better than a lot of other low Bs in the price range and with the right setup and right strings, I could see it getting the job done pretty nicely. Its pretty versatile, and I think they are incredible for the money.

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I posted a very similar question a while back and a lot of people suggested the Yamaha BB's.

6. I have to echo what Double Agent says 100%!

I don't own one, but have played a few in Sam Ash.

They are very Fender-like in tone and feel, and I think they are a steal at around $500.

Very good description, Double Agent. ;)

Mike

7. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks for the input. I'll try to see if the local GC has one to try out!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That pic is the first time I've noticed the "extended" bridge on the B string. Interesting.

9. Squier...

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321505537

it does NOT sound like a Jazz...

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky builds and excellent P 5.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Try a Jazz V.

I am more of a P guy than a Jazz guy myself, but I love the sound of my two Fender MIA active Jazz V's. And used they are usually in the $600-700 range.

12. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    I'm sure they do, but the object was to keep the price under $500. You won't find a Sadowsky for under a grand unless it's been given the Townshend treatment.