1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Project..questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NHGhost, Oct 9, 2004.

1. NHGhost

NHGhost

Sep 26, 2004
    Tried the search function..but too much info came up.

I am going to buy a Essex 5 string of some type. Probably a Jazz. This bass will be more an exercise in trying new stuff, and taking up some of my free time to tinker with stuff. I have several questions.

1. I have no use for a b string. I was wondering if anyone has restrung there 5 for a C instead on the high side. That would be useful to me. Would it mess up my neck? Where would I get strings...buy a 6 set and just chuck the b in the dump? Any advice?

2. I plan to make this an active setup eventually. Nothing against passives, but I like the variety of sounds I could try to get with an active setup. What kind of money am I looking at here? Not that money is a real issue..I just like to know what stuff goes for so I dont get gouged. Would need some decent pups, and a preamp. 9v vs 18v? Either way I will route out a spot for a battery box instead of trying to hide it somewhere else. Would it be best to go with something like the soapbar style bass they sell vs. a Jazz simply because of pickup availability...or quality?

Basically my plan is a

Blue 5 string Jazz.
    Black Schaller Tuners.
    Black string through bridge, with black string ferrules.
    Black Knobs, neck plate etc.
    Active pups..with concentric knobs. Upper knobs for vol/vol/tone Lowers for low/mid/high. (any ideas?)
    Flat black pickguard.
    Ashtrays..not sure if I can get them for a 5 string.

also contemplated routing out the bottom J pup for a MM type..and tapping it for a pseudo J tone.

What ya think?

NHghost

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes, you might need to play with the truss rod a bit. A c-string doesn't have the same tension as a low b. There are 5-string packs with c's, but you might have to resort to purchasing online. Then again, shipping might cost enough to just buy the 6-string packs and not use the b.

Concentric knobs:
    http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_knobs

Big project, good luck.