5 String Project..questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NHGhost, Oct 9, 2004.

1. NHGhost

Sep 26, 2004
    Tried the search function..but too much info came up.

I am going to buy a Essex 5 string of some type. Probably a Jazz. This bass will be more an exercise in trying new stuff, and taking up some of my free time to tinker with stuff. I have several questions.

1. I have no use for a b string. I was wondering if anyone has restrung there 5 for a C instead on the high side. That would be useful to me. Would it mess up my neck? Where would I get strings...buy a 6 set and just chuck the b in the dump? Any advice?

2. I plan to make this an active setup eventually. Nothing against passives, but I like the variety of sounds I could try to get with an active setup. What kind of money am I looking at here? Not that money is a real issue..I just like to know what stuff goes for so I dont get gouged. Would need some decent pups, and a preamp. 9v vs 18v? Either way I will route out a spot for a battery box instead of trying to hide it somewhere else. Would it be best to go with something like the soapbar style bass they sell vs. a Jazz simply because of pickup availability...or quality?

Basically my plan is a

Blue 5 string Jazz.
    Black Schaller Tuners.
    Black string through bridge, with black string ferrules.
    Black Knobs, neck plate etc.
    Active pups..with concentric knobs. Upper knobs for vol/vol/tone Lowers for low/mid/high. (any ideas?)
    Flat black pickguard.
    Ashtrays..not sure if I can get them for a 5 string.

also contemplated routing out the bottom J pup for a MM type..and tapping it for a pseudo J tone.

What ya think?

2. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes, you might need to play with the truss rod a bit. A c-string doesn't have the same tension as a low b. There are 5-string packs with c's, but you might have to resort to purchasing online. Then again, shipping might cost enough to just buy the 6-string packs and not use the b.

Concentric knobs:

Big project, good luck.