Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string PUNK?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ndjx, Feb 11, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm wondering why alot of "punk people" disagree with using a 5-string in a punk band. Why not? Is it a stupid trend thing that says you can't?

2. I've never heard anything like that. Exactly WHERE are punks saying this? Hmmmm?

~Ad

3. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    When I saw bigwig the bass player was using a 5 string jazz...

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Just recently I say some punkbassist user and his signature said "4-strings suck!" or something of the luck. Then awhile back on the basses forum in a topic someone was asking about a 5-string who played punk and the repliers asked "Why would you wanna 5-string if you play punk?" Not the exact words said but close to.

5. it's probably because in general, most notes below E won't be too audible in a punk mix, and the extra string gets in the way of fast picking, the preferred technique in punk.

6. I disagree. The people who think that 5 strings don't belong in punk;
    1. Are too young to contribute something useful to the topic.
    2. Don't even listen to punk.
    3. Think they do.
    4. Can't play or never have tried to play, a five string.

~Ad

7. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    those are decent excuses, but i think it more of it goes back to the old "you don't have to be skilled to play punk" thing.... which is why you see inexperienced players dump on five strings more than experienced ones

8. IMHO (i'm sure this will offend some people here, but remember its just an opinion)

Almost all modern punk is conforming to not conform... if that makes sense at all. They're copying the old school punks... the originals.

Its been set that you have a 4 string preferibly a Fender P, or a rick also 4 string, ALWAYS use a pick, Ampeg SVT w/ matching 8x10.

IME most punks dont know what they're rebelling against, and are just fallowing a trend that its cool to "Rebel" yet by rebelling, they just so happen to be conforming.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im gonna have to agree with dancehallclasher...as usual. Ad Nauseam, do u have anything to backup your arguement? i mean if so cool, but your doing the exact same thing as the people who say 5 strings suck for punk. I dont think they are wonderful personally. I play mostly punk. I listen from the pistols to the clash to hot water music to suicide machines to unwritten law and everything in between. Very few punkbands play 5 strings. It does get in the way when your trying to play very fast. That B is just gonna give a deep note that punk doesnt really call for. I think 5 strings are cool, but id never play one in a punk band, cuz itd slow me down considerably. But hey, punks all about being different so if thats your groove then go for it. I just strongly agree with dance in that there are reasons they arent used in punk.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Its no harder to play fast on a five then a four.

11. I really fail to see how a low b string would slow down your picking... It'd be just like playing your A string (oh wait, i'm talking about punk... :D )

12. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i agree... the "Holy Rules of Punk Rock" call for a four string so thats what people automatically go for without thinking... and they diss the B because B strings aren't "punk rock"

if someone simply doesn't care for the B or has no use for it thats fine, a lot of people don't.... but i get the feeling that most 14 year olds that pick up bass to play punk and buy vans shoes and bleachspike their hair are dissing the B because it doesn't follow the rules

i find it brutally ironic, just like you muttluk

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with these guys. I don't see how a B string would slow you down, if you have proper technique. Maybe that's the problem?;)

14. why not just tune EADGC the c would be way more useful in playing bass solos. the low would never suit punk rock because the guitars have too much mid range

15. please note that i'm not saying 5 strings SHOULDN'T be used, i'm just saying there are reasons that are valid IMO. to me, the strongest argument is that they are unnecessary, by and large, so why pay more for a bass that you don't need?

if it's necessary to YOUR style of punk, that's fine. when all is said and done, buy whatever the hell you want, but don't say so and so sucks because he is/isn't using a 5 string.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Once I saw a "punk" bassist wearing red shoes. I KNEW he couldn't be punk because real punks don't wear red shoes. Poser.

17. Hey Muttluk and hyperlitem! I'll show you how 5 strings and fretless even can be used in punk when my band goes through Washington and Indiana this summer... oh, wait. Neither of you are old enough to get into a punk bar. :rolleyes:
    This thread is no different than the other "punk this and that" threads. Therefore I have came to the conclusion of which I earlier posted.
    Robert Trujillo of Suicidal and Melvin Gibbs of Rollins Band have both played fivers. I have never in 10 years of playing in punk bands heard "5 string bass? That's not punk!".
    But since I don't own any GreenDay or Blink 182 then I might not know what I'm saying, right? :rolleyes:
    There is nothing rebellious about limiting the range of your instrument because it caters to a genre. There is nothing punk about conforming to an ideal.
    PUNK IS NOT AN IMAGE.
    Dogcollars and mohawks don't make you punk. Anyone who tells you different isn't a punk either.
    It's easy to wear the clothes but it's hard to fill the shoes.

~Ad

18. Ad, your rant is kinda coming out of nowhere. nobody is saying that punk should be an image, and nobody has even mentioned green day or blink 182. take it easy, baby.

19. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    The Deviates bassist uses a 5-string,fender i think.

20. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hmm sounds like sumone needs to take sum chill pills i spose. I dont think i was attacking anyone and i was expecting u to attack me. If you are playing in indiana tell me cuz id love to see u, and yes i am old enough. I'm going have to go the route of Dance again here. We're just discussing so calm down. I go to a punk show or 2 a weekend id guess at a punk dive we have around here called the emerson. Its alot of local stuff as well as bands like the suicide machines, and sick of it all, lars fredrickson and the bastards, are just a few who are comming here soon. I just rarely see a punk band play a 5. I do see the ocassional, but my personaly opinion is they dont sound super with that low b. I'm not saying it cant be done, but i have heard very few who pull if off well.