1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String PUP in a 4 string 70's Fender

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by irritantbassist, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ok heres the plan.

(Still looking for a good model of 5 string Pickup passive)

Want to stick a 5 string humbucker at the bridge of my 78 Fender P 4 string.

Anyone know if this is a good idea or not? Have heard that it can greatly increase tone capabilities with the added lower frequencies.

Niall

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    That doesn't seem like a good idea any way you look at it...

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    That'd be strongly ill-advised :eek:

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    the four string spacing will probably not line up correctly over the poles of a five string pup. look at 4 string pups that match your string spacing at the bridge.
    good hunting

5. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    I love modding my axes, that being said I don't know if I would do this particular mod.

I assume you need to enlarge the cavity?, (scary, especially if it doesn't end up to your liking).

Now, if you were to find HB's with "blades" then the string spacing etc, is no longer an issue.

You might want to try replacing with another brand of "P" style. Like Duncans, Bill Lawrence P45s, Barts. I'm sure you can find something that gives you the sound you are looking for, without the major facelift on the Fender.

Good Luck, keep us posted.

6. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    5 string pickups don't have lower frequencies than 4's. A Tele bridge pickup will pick up a low B.

7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    No, it wont. 5 string pickups are no different from 4 string pickups, just wider. It;s the low B string that adds bottom, not the pickup.

Instead of modding an old bass like that, try replacing the current pickup. Bartolinis get a lot of low end, as do active pickups like a Duncan or EMG.