1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string purchase dilemma...do older 5er's have design issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbalou02, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey, I'm looking for that Thunderbird sound on a 5er, but it seems the whole world is all sold out of Studio 5's.

I'm looking at a Gibson Bass V that is said to have the Tbird vibe, TB pickups...it sounds like it might fit what I'm going for. But - it was made in 1987, and I've read that often the low B strings are way floppy even on high end axes in the 80's.

Does anyone have experience with this bass or one like it? It'd have to be a sight unseen purchase, so all the info I can gather before hand would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your advice!

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Jackson Concert V bass is awesome if you can find one.

or........ a Stingray 5 HH has a TON of tones and a wonderful B string.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Find a EBMM SUB 5 - - the can be had for under $600 used.

4. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Theres a sub 5 in the classifieds for $550...not sure thats going to get me ther barking tone I'm looking for though. I've never owned a EBMM but I've always been under the impression that they were giving up more of a funky tone than the rock growl of a TBird?

Any view on the older 5's being rattly?