Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Davis, Mar 28, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    does anyone know of a 5-string bass that i could buy somewhere that isnt too expensive? (by that i mean within $200-400)

2. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'd recomend a dean if you dont mind the close string spacing.

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    id more prefer that the string stay far apart, as in a 4-string

4. Squire or MIM Fender 5 string

5. fuk korgy

fuk korgy

Mar 28, 2001
    Planet X
    Most Ibanez are good. Get a five string only if you are absolutely sure you need it. Because they cost some pretty pennies. But some are cheaper. Soundgears are great.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In this price range, there aren't a lot of choices, but 2 of the ones that I have played and thought were good for the money were the DeArmond Pilot 5(around $300) and the Squier Precision Bass Special 5(around $250). You should be able to play both at your local Guitar Center.

Of these 2, the Pilot sounds a little better, but the Squier has a better B string. Matter of fact, it has a better B than a lot of basses in the $700 - $1200 range too. With a hardware and electronics transplant, the Squier could be a really killer bass.

Here is a picture of each one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    squire, dean, ibanez are some relativly inexpensive ones. your best bet would to be to scour the pawn shops and see what kind of deal you can find.

8. Still kinda funny they call the Squire a P-bass special.... its kinda of a frankenstiened thing. P-Bass Body, Neck, Spacing... with J- Pickups

9. embellisher

Yeah, but have you played one? Awesome B string, especially for $250!!!!

10. you could get an Ibanez GSR 205 for $320 from Musician's Friend, but I wouldn't suggest it. I don't think the GSR is a good quality bass. You could get the SR-305DX for about $440 (I'm guessing) don't take my opinion on that one. You could also get the Fender Standard 5 string jazz band for $349 from MF.

11. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd go for the pilot. It's a got a better B due to the 35" scale, active electronics, and costs around $350 or less. Either that or I'd go for the squire, it's a lot of bass for $250. If you like wide spacing, don't get an Ibanez, unless it's the BTB. The Cort Curbow (34" scale) is a great bass it's got a nice tight B and is around $400. The MTD Kingston 5 (35" scale) is a really great bass and has the best B and is the best built of all these, it runs about $420 I think. The Ibanez BTB 405QM (35" scale) is great too, but it goes for about $589 or lower. The MIM fender jazz 5 (34" scale) has an awful B string. The Squire has a great B string for being $250 and a 34" scale. The Curbow and the Ibanez are full featured with 3-band active eq (the Ibanez has a sweepable mid control, and the Curbow has a slap switch) and high quality bridges and hardware. The Kingston is passive and doesn't have a quick change bridge which is a must for me (If I bought it I'd have to give it a bridge and electronics make-over and ditch the ugly pickguard). All of these basses have passive pick-ups. If you want more info on the Kingston or Curbow, look at my threads about them. Hope this is of some help.

12. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    Another vote for the Squier, but try before you buy. I love mine.

13. Yea the squire is pretty good... I think its prob even better than a MIM... it does have a good B-String... especially compared to my '96 MIA... and Squires are easy to frankenstien too

14. embellisher

Actually, DeArmond has made some changes, the Pilot Standard does not have active electronics or a 35" scale.

And the Squiers B string is better than last years 35" scale Pilots.

15. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Well if I remember right there were 4 models of pilots, the stripped one (standard), the one I was talking about the Pilot (Just Pilot), The pilot plus that has an ash body and 5-piece neck, and the pilot deluxe that's a 5-piece neck-through with either ash or mahogany wings. It was my impression they all were 35" scale. I'll check around though.

16. embellisher

They no longer make the 'just' Pilot.

Check out www.fender.com and click the DeArmond logo at the top of the page for the latest scoop.

17. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Are you sure about the squires B? Have you tried only one of them or several of them? I played one and the B felt great for $250 but, not tighter than a 35" scale. If you played just one, did it have some really good new strings on it? That's the ultimate test, if a dead B string remains focused. On my Ibanez Sr305, the B is great till the strings start to go, after it's about half dead, it's just horrible, but part of that is just that it's crappy bass. Was the one you played a squire pro-tone? The pro-tone squires were better than MIA fenders. I wonder if the squire is a descendant of the pro-tone squires, just with J pups instead of soap-bars? if that's true than it's an excellent instrument.

18. embellisher

No, it's not a Squier Pro Tone.

I have played about 20 of these in various shops in the Dallas area, and only found one with a floppy B string.

I own a Zon 5, a Pedulla 5, an Ibanez 506(which gets floppy with dead strings like you are talking about) and have played Sadowskys, Modulus, Laklands, pre Gibson Tobias', Stingray 5's, etc, and this bass has a B string better than any bass under $1000 that I have played.

It also has a tighter B than a couple of the vaunted names that I mentioned above as well.

And BTW - 35" scale length does not have that much to do with B string tightness IMHO, it's a distant 5th on the list behind neck rigidity, construction, setup, and strings.

I have played 34" basses with very tight Bs, and 35" basses with sloppy, floppy Bs. In all different price ranges.

19. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Ok thanks. I'll have play one the time I get a chance. I've played 35" with floppy Bs too (Dean edge 5 whatever), and 34"s with tight Bs. I agree that the scale is only one factor, but 35"s usally have a tighter B in my experences. I havent played too many real high end basses besides Like pedulla, or warwicks(warwicks aren't that high end though but I still love the corvette standard 5) so I can't judge those. Oh I just the pilot post they quit the just pilot? I thought it was a good deal for the $$. I would've gotten one if they weren't so ugly.