1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Quandry

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by salsjag, Feb 18, 2005.

1. 5 String Quandry
    I am not one who usually can't make decisions but I have a problem with this situation. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive 5 string to be used as a practice bass and to schlep around to open jams. Places where I just don't want to take my 5 string R Bass or Lakland Hollowbody for fear of banging them up or worse stolen. I play mostly Rock, Blues, and a little Motown. Here is my problem, I immediately thought of the Lakland 55-02 or JO 5 which I both like. My concern is this, my R Bass is a 33" scale (my main bass) and the Hollowbody is a 34". Do you think it will be uncomfortable or problematic to switch back and forth between a 33" and a 35" (the 55-02 & JO5). I know I can feel the difference between the 33" & 34"(Hollowbody) although this is not a problem at all. I just worry between a 33" & a 35" scale. Second, what 34" scale basses would you recomend (Roscoe Beck's neck much too thick for me)? I am looking to spend around $1,000 preferably less either used or new.

Thanks for your help

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I really like my Yamha BB605. Very inexpensive, even after I put in the Bartolini preamp and pickups. Total cost about $700. It's light, has a nice neck and a nice variety of tones - both active and passive.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb6241.html

Perfectly usable bass with new strings and a setup. I swapped in some barts, and SIT strings on my fretless version of this, and it's as good as any mim fender j I've played. All for $200 to my door, including the pups and strings.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+1 on the Yamaha for construction and playability for the price. I would also consider a Godin BG-V. It's 34" scale and the neck profile is slim with (I think) terrific playability. It's more of a "modern" sounding bass but the newer versions with the Godin pickups (mine has the SD Basslines) goes for less than $800 Cdn ($650 US).

After about 10-15 minutes of playing. my transition from the 34" scale Godin to my 35" scale Lakland and back is not a problem and I have small hands. After a couple of scales, your finger memory starts to adjust.

5. I would say a Stingray 5. 34" scale. I just bought one myself!!! :hyper: :bassist: