5 string question (tuning)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Nov 17, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hello: i am waiting for my first ever 5 string (warick streamer standard) and i have a question about a tuning possibility.

does anyone tune A-D-A-D-G?

I play in D right now with my 4 string and last night beofre falling asleep I came up with the ADADG option. I play a lot of 6th and 9th tones so this would seem to be a cool tuning.

anyways - comments would be cool. I'll try it out when i get the bass shipped and let people know how it goes.

2. Hey wassup man. I've played 4-strings for about a decade, and a few months ago, I bought my first 5-string -- an Ibanez BTB405QM. I love it. I use the ADADG tuning, and tune that down a half step. Took me a few weeks to really get used to that tuning, but it works well. Also, I've come up w/ some pretty unique riffs w/ it too. In addition to originals, my band covers a TOOL song (forty-six & 2) and the bassist from Tool uses the ADADG tuning also, so it works out nicely. ;)

Have fun, and let me know how it works out for ya.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    MMm I don't think so... 46&2 is on a 4 string, dropped D... the A would be totally useless in 46&2... unless you wanted to throw in some cool low fills or something?