1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string question (tuning)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Nov 17, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hello: i am waiting for my first ever 5 string (warick streamer standard) and i have a question about a tuning possibility.

does anyone tune A-D-A-D-G?

I play in D right now with my 4 string and last night beofre falling asleep I came up with the ADADG option. I play a lot of 6th and 9th tones so this would seem to be a cool tuning.

anyways - comments would be cool. I'll try it out when i get the bass shipped and let people know how it goes.

-erik

2. Hey wassup man. I've played 4-strings for about a decade, and a few months ago, I bought my first 5-string -- an Ibanez BTB405QM. I love it. I use the ADADG tuning, and tune that down a half step. Took me a few weeks to really get used to that tuning, but it works well. Also, I've come up w/ some pretty unique riffs w/ it too. In addition to originals, my band covers a TOOL song (forty-six & 2) and the bassist from Tool uses the ADADG tuning also, so it works out nicely. ;)

Have fun, and let me know how it works out for ya.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    MMm I don't think so... 46&2 is on a 4 string, dropped D... the A would be totally useless in 46&2... unless you wanted to throw in some cool low fills or something?