Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalwolf, Jan 15, 2005.

1. metalwolf

metalwolf

Jan 15, 2005
    i just bought an ibanez srx705. It's a five string bass and its pretty nice. Unfortunately, the B string seems to shift the nut a little bit, about half a millimeter, so there's a small gap between the nut and the fingerboard. I'm not sure whether this is going to be a problem and whether i would be able to fix it. It's still within the 30 day return period. Please give me advice.

2. Is this a defect or are you just using a lighter gauge B string? If it's a defect, I'd return it. If you're just using a really light gauge B string, you'll likely have a similar problem with other basses. One thing you could do is use some folded-up aluminum foil. It will conform to the gap fairly easily and should help the string sit better. I had to do that with one of my strings when I changed to a lighter gauge.

- Dave

3. Sounds like a manufacturer's defect to me- you shouldn't have to fix something that's brand new.

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Ditto

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    When you say that the "B string seems to shift the nut a little bit" are you saying that the nut is not sufficiently glued and it has moved in location (gap on "B" string side, overlap on "G" string side)? If that's the case, loosening the strings and re-glueing the nut is all you need to do. Elmers wood glue works fine. As long as the overall nut length is the same as the neck width and the nut is slotted evenly it should be fine. If not, the store (or Ibanez) would probably prefer that you get a new nut made locally (at their expense) rather than shipping the instrument back for repair or replacement.