1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ianm76, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ianm76

ianm76

Sep 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking for recommendations for my first 5 string. I'm very comfortable with my fenders, and like the flexibility of two pickups, so a P bass is probably out of the question. But I am digging the look of some of the other ones that have been recommended to me (SX, Yamaha). Here's one: http://www.rondomusic.com/bg205ash.html.

I changed from guitar to bass about a year ago. I'm not sure how much I'll get into playing a 5 string so I want to spend around $400 or less. I play mostly rock and metal, so like a bass with some punch and growl. I'd prefer something with passive pickups but not opposed to active if the bass fits. I am considering a used Schecter Elite 5 for sale locally, also...

In short, I'm pretty open at this point.. :D

Any opinions are much appreciated!

Ian

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Sounds like you know what you want, which is good.
    Passive 5 stringers for around $400...hm...maybe a Squier Vintage Modified? Those are less than $300 and are a very good value, plus they have the two pickups you want.

EDIT: Just looked it up, SVM are active...but still, little money, you like Fenders, 2 pickups...sounds like a good fit.
    Also, check out Cort Curbow. They are light and balance very well despite the appearance that they may not.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...finity-Active-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V?sku=512618
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cort-Curbow-5String-Bass?sku=512718

3. ianm76

ianm76

Sep 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. AFAIK most 5 strings are active?

a bit out of your range maybe but yamaha RBX375 is pretty good,... my preference is Ibanez, thinner necks ala Jazz style and very well constructed / setup...

my main thing to say is play before you buy, 5 strings tend to be a different beast and you may not want to be stuck with something that you don't like after a few days,...

that said I love my K5 ;)

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    They call it something different but after comparing the 4 string "VM" and the 5 string "Deluxe Active" they are really the same except one has a thumbrest...I mean, B string. Jk, I am looking for a 5 string too :)

6. ianm76

ianm76

Sep 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    From what I've seen, most of them are. I'm not 100% opposed to them, I've just liked the simplicity of the controls on a passive, or maybe I'm just lazy.. :rolleyes:

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I don't think you could go too wrong with Yamaha. Your $400 should be more than enough to get a nice used one.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V.

Best value 5er on the market IMO.

9. ianm76

ianm76

Sep 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I played a Yamaha NE sig model the other day, it felt pretty good. I think the major difference between that and the BB series is the neck-thru (that and 3K)...

Speaking of, I just missed out on a BB605 here on TB the other day... :crying:

10. ianm76

ianm76

Sep 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's the one I'm leaning towards. I like the no pickguard look and buying it new from GC or SamAsh has the advantage of the 30day return policy...

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Any opinons on SX or Schecter?

11. pallino

pallino

Feb 2, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Confirmed.Incredible value for the money.:bassist:

12. Stryfer

Stryfer

Sep 30, 2008
    The first bass I ever bought was a 5 string Ibanez - GSR205. It's very cheap considering it has 5 strings and it's good quality too.
    The neck is thin - VERY thin - I've played some 4 strings with a thicker neck. This means that the string spacing is pretty close but that only makes it better, because jumping strings is easier. Slapping is bit more difficult but managable.
    The pickups are active, but there really are no complications. It's just 1 extra know that is labeled BOOM. It just adds extra boost...thats it. I don't mess around with controls either, i just max everything out and the rest of the sound is modified via the amp.
    The sound it self is great! Seriously! However, if you're not carefull with the tone you will go too high and lose the low bass rumble - just dont go too high on you EQ. The sound though is really monstrous.

Check it out:
    http://www.ibanez.com/BASS/guitar.aspx?m=GSR205

To add, I've been using it for two years and so far I haven't found a bass that beats this in the quality vs price department. It's really good if you're looking for something in the $300-$400 area (thats how much it cost when i bought it, not sure what the price is at the moment...)

13. Montsegour

Montsegour

Apr 1, 2008
    Sarajevo
    How about
    IBANEZ SR505 bass or Peavey grind bass 5 bxp ntb ? Only these I played and the only these I can recommend..
    Google for preformances..

14. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I heartily concur with the SR505 (just got rid of my 4's for one) and will add the Peavey Millennium AC BXP. Both are very playable and sound good. The Squier everyone raves about is also a good bass.

15. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    You can also look for a used Carvin. They offer an excellent value and are great players.