Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string routing templates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I just ordered my Warmoth Deluxe5 neck and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find routing templates for it. Warmoth says they don't provide them and Stewmac only seems to offer for a 4-string. Same thing for Bartolini pickups, only 4-strings.

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    You'll have to make the necket pocket template. It's easy. Stew-mac makes the pickup templates.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think the Bartolini J pickups use the same shells for 4 and 5 string models. Can anyone back this claim up?

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I concur. Also the Stewmac templates have larger radii in the corners that match the more rounded corners of the Bart jazz pickups. Luke will need a 3/8" dia. router bit to get into the corners of the template. I suggest using the Stew-mac templates to make thicker templates out of plywood or MDF. That thin lucite stuff stew-mac uses for their template makes for too deep of a first pass cut with the router unless you're using a really short bit, which the Stew-mac bits aren't.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What I see on the Bart site, looking at the CB series, is for 4-string jazz:
    and for 5-string jazz:
    Now, the Bart dimensions page only shows two J shapes, "9 long" and "9 short", which agrees with the descriptions above, and which are 95 and 91 mm long on the shell exteriors. This would seem to support the idea that the same shells are used for both.

The Seymore Duncan 4-string Vintage J replacements measure 92mm and 94.74mm. The SD J 5-string pups measure 91.9mm and 95mm.

All of this is making me think that the 5ers are the same sizes as the 4s, although Bart neck pups are 1mm sharter than SDs.

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Remember, though, that Bart makes 4-string-sized 5-string J's ("9" series) and 5-string-5-string J's ("7" series). The 7-series pickups are replacements for real American Fender J5's and Deluxe J5's, which have longer pickups.

Bart may not offer the CB pickups in this longer size, but they do for the older models.

7. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

I called Stumac and Eric explained that the templates will only fit 4-string jazz pickups. So that nikes using their templates. Would this also mean that I wont need their ballbearing router bits? I could just as easy get regular bits from the hardware store and save a little. Or do I NEED ballbearing bits?

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm here to tell you Eric is full of ka-ka. I know for a fact that the stew-mac j-bass pickup templates will work with the Bart 5 string l/s jazz pickups. Bart makes their 5 string l/s pickups the same saize as the their l/s 4's. I've got a set of Bart 4 string J pickups and a set of Bart 5 string J pickups on my desk at home and they are the same size, with the exception of the fact that the bridge pickups are longer than the neck pickups. I've used the stew-mac templates for both and they work fine.

You need a template bit (w/bearing) if you're going to use stew-mac templates other wise you'll have to use a bit with a collar and that means you'll need oversized templates. 1/2" dia. template bits are readily available but they too big for pickup routing to get into the corners of the templates.

9. On my one of my in-progress instruments I am using the 59 classic bass barts. I did buy the stew mac templates and they fit, although the screw 'ears' are a little big on the template, no biggie, most jazz basses have the pocket a little bigger than the pickup.

I do back up the suggestion of using the stew mac template to make thicker and more 'heat resistant' templates out of plywood or mdf. lucite can melt very fast under a router bit (I'm using 1/4" bit for the corners, I couldn't justify acquiring a bearing big for this purpose.)

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    ...uh...Bart does make two sizes of 5-string Jbass pickups...
    From bart's dimensioned pickup drawings PDF: http://bartolini.net/pdf/Pickup Drawings_wDims.pdf

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    OK then, so Bart makes 5er pups in two sizes, to follow Fender's (apparent) two sizes. So the question is, what size of pup does LS need templates for-- the smaller, same-size-as-the-4s pups, or the larger American-series-size pups?

12. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Forgot to mention this previously, but Eric at SM said the templates are dimensioned after the American-series-size pups. Again, he said 4-string only. But, given that Bud says he's full of ka-ka and Eric couldn't measure a control cavity correctly over the phone, I'll going with Bud's advice.

After all this confusion, I'm seriously considering soaps and building my own templates. Should be easier to rout as well.

13. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    LS - so specifically, what brand and model of pickups do you have? That's the real question, I think. :)

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    And since Warmoth is in the house, here's a pic of a Warmoth Deluxe 5 bass I put together for my wife with standard 4 string jazz pickup routings fitted with 5 string Bartolini jazz pickups.

15. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well, thats the big thing. I haven't decided on pups yet because of the slim availability of existing templates. I'd like jazz, and have been leaning towards them because of the Stu-macs templates. But then again, now that all this confusion has set in, soaps would be nice and from the looks of it, easier to rout. So many damn choices when building from scratch.

I'm afraid someone will chime in saying I should choose pups based on sound. But that's a whole other topic with even more confusion. Just look at the number of styles at bartolini.net. ith hardly any explanation of the differences.

16. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There's hardly any difference between many of the casings. The differences come from aperature, winding (indicated by C, K, CB, etc), and coil structure for Bartolini.

Either buy the 59J series and use the 4 string templates or buy soapbars and make your own. You can buy J coils in soapbar casings from Bartolini - you'd want the X5's.