5 string sets with a high C or B?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EvoMan, Sep 6, 2004.

1. I would like to get my first 5 string bass (a fretless) and really have no interest in adding a low B, which appears to be the norm. I want to tune EADGC, but I want to know whether I can actually but a 5 string set that is not intended to include a low B? I did some searching, but the lightest set I can find includes something like 30-50-70-90-115, so that the E would have to be a 115 and the other strings would also be a bit on the thick side. Can I get a set with something like 25-35-55-75-95? Would I have to pay out for a 6 string set and dump the low B? Thanks.
  2. I had some custom sets made up in the sort of gauges you mentioned by Status Graphite here in the UK. You might want to have a look there.
  3. Brian tate

Brian tate

Aug 11, 2004
    Labella make a set of 5 strings, whit high C. The set is Hard Rockin' Steel, they have them on Stringbusters.com
  4. Did you simply ask Status to put together these sets instead of the standard ones that they list in their online catalog? I am familiar with Status strings and actually looked at their available sets just before I posted this question (I also own a Status). I know that Rob Green tends to be very hands on with the business (just got email from him yesterday in fact), but didn't think that he would bother with custom string sets.

5. I should have done this before posting my reply - I see on the Status web page that you can build a custom set of strings, using any gauge you wish. I haven't actually figured out if it is cheaper to order a 6 string set and ditch the low string, but I will before I place an order (and with bulk discounts available and free UK shipping, the 6 string sets might still be the way to go).

6. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Ken Smith will make up custom sets for you. Fantastic strings, too.

Don't forget to have the bass set up (or built, if that's what you're going to do) with a nut cut specifically for your EADGC gauges.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY

Not only can you order your Fodera strings with high C from JustStrings.com, but JustStrings also sells bulk bass guitar strings - in nickel & stainless steel - in gauges from .025 to .125, so you can build your own custom sets. Such a deal...

Check it out...