5 string single cut Wenge and Brazil walnut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bastav, Apr 22, 2016.

1. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    So I haven't quite finished the 25 inch scale bass yet... but as I'm lacking in the motivation department when it comes to frets and sanding I decided to get a headstart on my next project. Not that I need another bass, I've just gotten real fond of building them.

So this will be 34'' scale with 5 strings. Pickup will be a Häussel oldstyle P. Here is the drawing I'm currently working from

cTlcnx0.jpg

The body will be Brazil walnut (not sure but I think it's Imbuia) and wenge, with some additional wenge veneer stylings. Neck will be wenge, fingerboard will be wenge. I'm getting rid of all my wenge (almost) with this one. Even though it smells and looks nice, it's no fun to work (which makes me think this bass might mean trouble.
    Wood!

lO5zjQm.jpg

QeCuo7j.jpg

I'm hoping to complete the bodyblank tomorrow. The Imbuia has got some really nice figureing, unfortunately the biggest peice is the most boring one...

2. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    I got the body down to thickness with a router, then I started the veneer trickery
    7WETbo1.jpg

Glued the veneers on and cut out the shape, I oversized it quite a bit to give me some room to work out how i would go about shaping the veneers, did some carve tests. I think it might actually work out the way I thought it would.
    ASRQ0qH.jpg

I-Am-The-Slime likes this.
  3. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Today I routed out a control cavity (free-handed it :whistle:). Then I did some more work on the hoop, and carved away.
    DF0CW9G.jpg
    Ika73fJ.jpg

4. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Im thinking about using some kind of reddish grain filler for the wenge, has anybody done this?

5. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    I used a bandsaw for the first time this week, cutting out thins for a control cavity cover. I finished it today.
    egSlekr.jpg
    Vllx6cO.jpg

6. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    And after initial shaping
    OH1fuNu.jpg

7. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    I also did some shaping of the other side of the body

mMjV1YM.jpg

PDX Rich likes this.
  8. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Nice clean carving work there, sir. Following along on this build!

9. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks!

10. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Routed for the truss rod, then cut the neck out on the bandsaw and finished the taper off with a top bearing router bit and a straight edge, the router bit is getting to be of a certain age and I did get some tear out, luckily it was in the portion of the neck that will be carved so all is good with the wood. 40htXL3.jpg

I had been contemplating what to do for the back of the neck down by the body. I didnt have any big enough pieces of wenge or Imbuia and I didnt want to add another wood to the mix so I decided to do a upwards bookmatch of the last piece of imbuia I had left. I had some cracks in it but I think I'll be able to work around those... I'll fill them with some epoxy and sawdust just to be safe.
    mFTxPvW.jpg

I'm also working on a tailpiece in wenge that will serve as string anchor/bridge, more on that later I hope

11. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Nice work!

12. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Made some progress this last week.

roughed out the fretboard on the bandsaw. glued it up and trimmed the edges with the router.

Pre glue up
    Qb23tnK.jpg

Glueing
    uTsjyh5.jpg

13. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Glued! Also roughed out the headstock
    ZZdlhFm.jpg

kkaarrll likes this.
  14. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Then came the frets. It went better than last time (note the shortscale without the headstock which fell off during fretting).
    jbsPOtE.jpg

15. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Then, much to my own surprise, I went on to level and crown the frets. Hadn't planned on doing that yet but I'm glad to have that out of the way...

djEwdn8.jpg

SlFdW9h.jpg

I found the crowning to be quite enjoyable. Sunshine and slow work goes well with each other. Feeling good about this one, running pretty smoothly so far, knock on wenge

16. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Got started on the neck carve a while back, also glued on the back portion of the neck, but haven't really made much progress since then.

Afew passes with the router to get me started
    jAu9i6i.jpg

17. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Then I used the shinto (love it) to do most of the rest
    U82PMrb.jpg

18. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016
    Picked it up for the first time in a few weeks today, clamped it together to mark out where the top "horn" will join the neck.
    oKGAHrZ.jpg
    d0ES8Wq.jpg

Dadagoboi and Will_White like this.
  19. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Sweet!
    Very unique (obviously)....unique is cool!
    Nice work!

20. bastav

bastav

Mar 11, 2016

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021