1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string slap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Hey Everyone. I am looking for a bass that will be a nice contrast to my 5 string Jazz. I am currently Playing thtough a hartke ha7000 into a Mase Boogie 1516. I want something that can get me a nice slap tone and versatility would be great as well. A stingray 5 seems to be the obvious choice but I was curious as to what else I should look at... Right now I am struggling to find a Stingray to try out :rolleyes:

Also I am hoping to replace the Hartke with a Mesa 400 or 400+ to run the Bass through.

2. i'm no slapper by any means but the few times i mess with it, my mtd kingston 5 has nice wide spacing and the tone is good. (for me at least!)

it's actually the only bass i've owned that i felt comfortable slapping on.

well... my old geddy lee jazz would qualify too. ok, 2 basses for me. but that's it!!! ;)

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    G&L L-2500
    P bass 5 str dlx.
    Warwick

For the record, I used to use my 5 str. jazz for slap all the time. I personally think the jazz is great for slap.

danman

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would definately recomend a Fender Jazz There awesome for slaping and extremly versatile. To be a little more specific on which one get the Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA!! :bassist:

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I've got smallish-medium hands (not carnival act like:), and slapping on my Stingray 5 isn't as good as my RJ4......

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I slap just fine (for me) on five-string as long as it has so-called "wide" string spacing: 3/4" (19mm) at the bridge, with 1-7/8" nut width. My Fender RB5 sounds fantastic for this... definitely gives good J-bass slap tone.

7. My favorite bass for slap is definitely my Jazz 5. It's passive w/a 20 fret neck- this & the spacing make it work very well for me.

8. Well like I said I currently have a Jazz 5 V witch I plan on keeping. I love its sound fingerstyle and all that but I am looking for more out of it slap style. I am looking basically for something that can get some sounds that the Jazz cant and lately I have been loving the sound of others playing a stingray and have been leaning towards that type of tone. The G&L 2500 is interesting as well but I have never seen one in person to try.

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Is your current Jazz active or passive, and does it have a maple or rosewood board? Just curious. Since you already have the 5-string Jazz, which many people like, maybe the question is: What are you looking for in a slap tone that your Jazz isn't giving you? Folks sometimes have very different ideas what "great slap tone" sounds like.

Mike

10. I have a 97 MIA Fender Jazz V (passive) with a rosewood board. To my ears it doesnt have the highs for slap and the midrange grunt for fingerstlye playing that I have been looking for lately. I mean dont get me wrong I wouldnt trade my Jazz for anything but I want something to complement it. When I hear a slap line played on a Stingray type instrument its like whoa listen to that funk .. I just dont get that vibe from slap lines played on a Jazz. The more I type in here the more I think I just want a stingray.. But I am still curious as to what else could fill my gas.

11. The slap sound of a Cirrus 5 is brutal!

12. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    I have a stingray 5 and would have to admitt that it's got a great slap tone, but to me the string spacing could just be a tad wider. just can't get my thumb comfortable between the strings.
    but it's still a great bass! the tone is there. :bassist:

13. +1 I had a fretless SR5- although a fretted one might sound good, I agree w/the above post as to spacing & slapability.

14. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are sound samples of the G&L on ther site.
    This bass is a slap machine. but, on the other hand, it is also a everything else machine too.

www.glguitars.com

danman

15. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    STINGRAY

16. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Music Man StingRay5
    http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/specs/instruments_stingray5.html

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +12

Ray

18. It's a shame that G&Ls are butt-ugly...(IMO).
    At least if I were blind, I'd know which basses to get...(ouch).

19. I wish Musicman would make a different version of the SR5 and call it the "Stingray V" It would have:

- Wider fretboard, same or very-close-to-same bridge spacing
    - Stingray-style elliptical pickguard
    - Chrome control crescent
    - Same electronics as SR4 (2EQ or 3EQ versions)

In a nutshell, a REAL 5-string Stingray.

20. Modulus Flea Bass