5 string slap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Hey Everyone. I am looking for a bass that will be a nice contrast to my 5 string Jazz. I am currently Playing thtough a hartke ha7000 into a Mase Boogie 1516. I want something that can get me a nice slap tone and versatility would be great as well. A stingray 5 seems to be the obvious choice but I was curious as to what else I should look at... Right now I am struggling to find a Stingray to try out :rolleyes:

Also I am hoping to replace the Hartke with a Mesa 400 or 400+ to run the Bass through.
  2. i'm no slapper by any means but the few times i mess with it, my mtd kingston 5 has nice wide spacing and the tone is good. (for me at least!)

it's actually the only bass i've owned that i felt comfortable slapping on.

well... my old geddy lee jazz would qualify too. ok, 2 basses for me. but that's it!!! ;)
  3. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    G&L L-2500
    P bass 5 str dlx.

For the record, I used to use my 5 str. jazz for slap all the time. I personally think the jazz is great for slap.

4. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would definately recomend a Fender Jazz There awesome for slaping and extremly versatile. To be a little more specific on which one get the Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA!! :bassist:
  5. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I've got smallish-medium hands (not carnival act like:), and slapping on my Stingray 5 isn't as good as my RJ4......
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I slap just fine (for me) on five-string as long as it has so-called "wide" string spacing: 3/4" (19mm) at the bridge, with 1-7/8" nut width. My Fender RB5 sounds fantastic for this... definitely gives good J-bass slap tone.
  7. My favorite bass for slap is definitely my Jazz 5. It's passive w/a 20 fret neck- this & the spacing make it work very well for me.
  8. Well like I said I currently have a Jazz 5 V witch I plan on keeping. I love its sound fingerstyle and all that but I am looking for more out of it slap style. I am looking basically for something that can get some sounds that the Jazz cant and lately I have been loving the sound of others playing a stingray and have been leaning towards that type of tone. The G&L 2500 is interesting as well but I have never seen one in person to try.
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Is your current Jazz active or passive, and does it have a maple or rosewood board? Just curious. Since you already have the 5-string Jazz, which many people like, maybe the question is: What are you looking for in a slap tone that your Jazz isn't giving you? Folks sometimes have very different ideas what "great slap tone" sounds like.

10. I have a 97 MIA Fender Jazz V (passive) with a rosewood board. To my ears it doesnt have the highs for slap and the midrange grunt for fingerstlye playing that I have been looking for lately. I mean dont get me wrong I wouldnt trade my Jazz for anything but I want something to complement it. When I hear a slap line played on a Stingray type instrument its like whoa listen to that funk .. I just dont get that vibe from slap lines played on a Jazz. The more I type in here the more I think I just want a stingray.. But I am still curious as to what else could fill my gas.
  11. The slap sound of a Cirrus 5 is brutal!
  12. bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    I have a stingray 5 and would have to admitt that it's got a great slap tone, but to me the string spacing could just be a tad wider. just can't get my thumb comfortable between the strings.
    but it's still a great bass! the tone is there. :bassist:
  13. +1 I had a fretless SR5- although a fretted one might sound good, I agree w/the above post as to spacing & slapability.
  14. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are sound samples of the G&L on ther site.
    This bass is a slap machine. but, on the other hand, it is also a everything else machine too.

15. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Music Man StingRay5
  16. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses

17. It's a shame that G&Ls are butt-ugly...(IMO).
    At least if I were blind, I'd know which basses to get...(ouch).
  18. I wish Musicman would make a different version of the SR5 and call it the "Stingray V" It would have:

- Wider fretboard, same or very-close-to-same bridge spacing
    - Stingray-style elliptical pickguard
    - Chrome control crescent
    - Same electronics as SR4 (2EQ or 3EQ versions)

In a nutshell, a REAL 5-string Stingray.