Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string slapping: Eliminating B string ring?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 15, 2004.

1. What's the best technique (short of getting a 4-string) for slapping on a 5- (or 6-) string bass and avoiding knocking the "B" string by accident? I rarely slap the "B" string. I understand there's some muting technique involved.

I guess I have this problem 'cos I'm on a Stingray5, which has a pretty narrow neck as far as 5-strings go. But I've heard other bassists have a whack at it and I don't hear the "B" string get hit.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey man, im in the same boat as you. Even though ive been playing a 5 longer than i have a 4, i still do it alot. It just takes practise, practise, and more practise. Start off slow, being direct, then built up your speed, slowly though. Thats all i can really say helped me.

3. it mostly depends on how you anchor your wrist and at what angle you attack the strings, try hitting it almost horizontally. in time you'll get better at the accuracy. you can also try hitting from below while muting the lower strings with the lower side of your right palm (assuming your a righty), it just depends which way you find more comfortable.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Keeping the B string from ringing is just another reason to develop good muting skills. I use left and right handed muting, basically using any free fingers or various parts of my right hand to accomplish the task.

Of course if you practice not accidentally hitting the B string it'll make the job that much easier.

5. I would also suggest practise not hitting the b-string.