Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-String Songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 19, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have just got a new 5 string, and i was curious at what are some songs to learn. I know Last Resort, and im just playing around with the low b at the moment. So are there any songs that can get you familiriased (SP?) with the new string?
    Also can someone please show me some scales if there are any for 5ers?
    thanks guy!

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i think the best thing to do is get all the songs you know and try to incorporate the B string into that, change the fingering around and use it as much as possible.....this will also help to get to know the fretboard.

as for scales:

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
    on a 4 string is the same as:
    C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
    on a 5 string

..........theres a C note first fret B string. not a good example cause your using open notes on that scale, but you get what i mean, if not then ill explain more sometime later.
    later
    Lukas

3. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    correct if im wrong(and i very well may be) but wouldnt it be better for him not to use the open notes so he could get use to where the new notes are?and to be more familiar with notes on the fretboard in general?(not saying hes not but u know what i mean)

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    the way i have worded it....it does look weird.
    i was trying to say it isnt a good example because he would be playing open notes, so if he were to move up 2 frets to D then it would be fine. (correct me if im wrong here aswell, im not thinkin right now....really hungry)
    later
    Lukas

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You have entirly new scale positions now due to that B string. So IMHO the best thing to do to learn the B string is practice scales.

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    all new positions, the notes are still the same so if u know ur notes youll be right.

anyone know that dave on bass site with all that 5 string info and stuff on it, it really helped me and it might be in the TB links, im gonna check it out now....you should do the same cause its really good.
    later
    Lukas

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    kirby - now you can play all sorts of detuned stuff, without messing with your tuning.

All you do is change you position - that's one of the great things about 5 stringers.

So, you could now play for example Guns'n'Roses numbers without detuning the half step that they do. Another good 5 string song is Sad but True by Metallica! Can't think of any more just now, but I'm sure there are plenty!

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    w0t ABaWt sUm KoRn?!!

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    sorry im just being confusing :)
    later
    Lukas

11. Hey kirby, good for you that you got a new bass.. I´m going to get my first 5 stringer soon too.. :)
    Do not limitate yourself.. there shouldn´t be "5-string songs" unless they were so complexly arranged and composed that you need an specific number of strings to perfom it..

You should experiment trying to add the low B to everithing you´ve played on your 4 string.