1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-string spacing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Al Heeley, Mar 5, 2008.

1. It looks like I might be a bit tight on my string spacing at the upper end of my fanner fret build. What would be considered the minimum string spacing for a 5-string bass? (E-C):eek:

2. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Whatever you want it to be. Anywhere from 15mm center to center on up. What happened to the neck?

3. I think I may have shaved it a bit on the thin side where it joins the body :(
    15mm centre should be the min then, as a guide? I found MM Stingray 5's were quoting 16.5mm for their spacings and Fender P-bass 5 is 19mm. Warmoth Gecko 5's are also 19mm.

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    You can space the strings as closely as you are comfortable playing, provided that they don't interfere with each other.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Al, you've got to put those outer strings wherever they were when you planned the fan (assuming it was planned properly), and the inners follow from that, as has been discussed in Arx's thread.